LT's/dipstick question

Down

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2002
Overland Park, KS
I bought my car w/ lt's already in it and had noticed that the dipstick didn't look seated right. Well, I finally got some motivation to investigate it further (had to replace the water pump) and realized there no bracket on it. I did some searching on here and found that there seems to be a common thread of dipstick problems when you have lt's.

From what I've gathered, the easy fix is a fox body dipstick, so I plan on picking one of those up. I was just wonderng if anyone that had done this could chime in with any problems I may have doing this.
I've heard some trimming might be necessary, etc.

Could anyone tell me exactly what all has to be done to get one of these in?

Thanks alot,

J

• Sponsors (?)

Order up M6750-C303 (CURVED CHROME DIPSTICK) outta the FRPP catalog...it fits mint and will bolt back to the headers just like stock. My LTs had the same issue using the stock set-up...the dipstick is like 20.00 or so...a Fox unit will do the same, long as its curved.....
All i had to do is file down the bottom diameter some so as to fit in the block...no biggie...slap some RTV on it, push it in, bolt to the header...done deal...
The "Fill" mark was different...I had to scribe a new mark for that...

Hope that helps....

sldghmr...its not uncommon for stock assy to not "fit" they way it did prior to the LTs...mine was usable...i just had to swivel it towards the fender and zip-tie it to the AC line...couldnt bend it around the primaries to fit the stock location...connecting the brace to a header bolt that is...

Down said:
RIO5.0 said:
The "Fill" mark was different...I had to scribe a new mark for that...
QUOTE]
How far off was it. These cars do hold 5 qts. right? :D

How much did you need to file of the bottom to get it in?

J

The Fill mark was like a QT higher than normal....???? I just did a fresh oil change and scribed a new line...I think the stick said Full, and i was reading at the "top" of the word Full...just different than you normally see, thats all.

I had to grind the O.D. of the tube with a file...the diameter was a tad larger than the hole in the block....I filed it so it would fit all the way down to the the "rib" on the tube...

RIO5.0 said:
The Fill mark was like a QT higher than normal....???? I just did a fresh oil change and scribed a new line...I think the stick said Full, and i was reading at the "top" of the word Full...just different than you normally see, thats all.

I had to grind the O.D. of the tube with a file...the diameter was a tad larger than the hole in the block....I filed it so it would fit all the way down to the the "rib" on the tube...
Thanks alot!
Just ordered it from Summitt ($30 for a dipstick, ugh).
I'll give it a shot this weekend.

J