Lumbar Bladder Poking Out

mattmathis

Apr 10, 2012
My lumbar bladder is poking out the back of the seat. Not all the way, it hasn't busted through the material, It's just showing a lump on the back of the seat. I was planning on having my two front seats reupholstered when the car get's back from the paint shop.

Is this something that can be just removed? Or does it have to be replaced? Or must I buy a new seat?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply. I've seen their products and they seem like top end stuff but that's just not in my budget. There is nothing wrong at all with my back seat and just very minor wear on the front passenger. But the driver is all ripped up and the bladder thing. That's why I was just Gona pay a local guy that does really good work like 100-150 each to have the two fronts recovered.

I was just wondering if I could have him just take out the lumbar bladder all together, or if it could be reattached or if I needed to find a frame in a salvage yard or something.

Not answering any kind of question for you but as far as tmi goes I had em send me 3 swatches, leather, vinyl, and cloth. The lesther was ok, the vinyl not bad(I'd prob go that route) and the cloth was terrible. It was like thin burlap, coarse and thin.

I have some bad news. It's going to take a lot of work to get that bladder fixed. It is a one piece bladder made of plastic that hooks over metal tabs on the sides. If it's poking out, one of the plastic ends has ripped off and it's not being held in place. You can only get it from the dealer, it's discontinued, and I bought the last one in the country about 6 months ago. You are going to have to get it out of there and find a way to make it work. If you leave it out, you're back is going to hurt.

Kurt

The bladder hooks onto the seat frame on both sides. The 91 stock slow leaker I had was HD rubber, but the replacement Ford part (that was on some dealer's shelf) was cheaply made plastic that barely fit over the hooks. I may patch the little leak and put the factory one back. Did your bladder rip or just come off the hooks? Only an inspection will tell.
You could fabricate something for support in the area of the bladder (HD cloth or rivet in metal with rolled over edges) and add foam for a permanent lumbar support.

Man, for all that hassle, I'd probably just add a little more foam to the lower lumbar region and call it a day.

Otherwise...swap meets are full of ragged out seats. One of them is bound to have a decent replacement bladder.

Reactions: 1 user
btw, do you guys know if the two front seats are interchangeable? Like could I put the passenger seat on the drivers side so I can drive it while I have the seat covered? Or will it not line up right etc...

Thanks!

btw, do you guys know if the two front seats are interchangeable? Like could I put the passenger seat on the drivers side so I can drive it while I have the seat covered? Or will it not line up right etc...

Thanks!
They will physically interchange....you only need to swap the seat tracks, but all of your lumbar and seat controls will be on the wrong side of the seat. They might make contact with the transmission tunnel?

The seat tilt releases on the backs end up on the wrong side. It is no big deal if you do not use the back seat much. On a 79, while I was looking for replacement foam, and was being cheap, I did not even have to switch bases. I just moved the whole assemblies.

Last edited: