Lx Tail Light Swap On A Gt

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by Audiophile, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I've been thinking this over for a couple of weeks now. (I know, a long time to think about something so trivial). I really favor the look of the LX tail lights over the factory ones on my GT, referred to as "cheese grater" I think.

I just wanted to see what others opinions might be before I do it. I don't mind mods, especially when I think it looks and/or performs better. However, I also respect the purist side of things about originality.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to something as simple as this. :)
  2. It's personal preference. Unfortunately most persons prefer to use the LX tail lights, so the demand is high and getting a good set is expensive. The first thing we used to do back in the day upon buying a GT Fox was to immediately find a set of LX tail lights. I think the LX lights look way better than the Cheese graters.

3. Leave the GT's on!!!
    deathb4dismount likes this.
  4. Up to you really. These cars are usually modified, so finding a true purist is hard as not too many 100% stock cars left these days.

LX tails are popular, but so are the 83-86 taillights, with pinstripes added to look like 93 Cobra tails
  5. Thanks for the responses so far everyone! I respect the opinions and will give it a little more time before I decide.
  6. I like the cheese graters just purely for the reason that EVERYONE has LX lights. I might even be willing to trade my LX tail lights for a god set of GT ones for the race car once I decide what color I am going to paint the car.
  7. Everyone has their opinion. Its your car, so you decide!

(LX tails here)
  8. First lets see an as$ shot of the car
  9. LX tails FTW. But, I also like the GT wing on an LX, so maybe I'm just weird.
  10. Gotta go with LX here.
  11. I think it depends on the color somewhat. Dark colors on the cheese graters look good, but I don't really care for them on lighter colors like white or silver.

My GT

I do like Cobra tails though...

LX Tails are okay if they are nice and shiny. I guess I just see to many faded ratty ones. Edit: There was a nice example but can't link them from AFM
    Audiophile likes this.
  12. LX tails on my white GT

Audiophile likes this.
  13. Again, thanks for all the responses. Here's a pic of the rear of my car:

Grabbin' Asphalt, TCKTGTR and aar0s like this.
  14. keep it as is!
    Grabbin' Asphalt likes this.
  15. I happen to like the stock GT lenses. The only thing id change them for would be some 83-86 with the amber turn signal. Maybe paint the part thats usually flat black to a gloss black to match the car, but if that were my car I wouldnt change a damn thing.
  16. Mine came with the clear LX's. If i could find GT lights that matched my car i would get them. Bought the LX lenses for 80 and bought the housings for 30 at a pick n pull repainted them all that.

17. I swapped to LX lights on my old hatch, liked it a lot better personally :shrug: just change the bulbs so your turn signals aren't white. Cops don't like that
  18. Oh God, 2 tones!!! What was Ford thinking? There is no point in even thinking about the tail lights until the 2 tone abomination is corrected.

19. I finally ordered some 93 Cobra Lenses for my car, been wanting to change from the stock cheesegraters for a long time.