LX to GT conversion

Me and my friend both have black 1990 5.0's. Mine is an LX, and his is a GT. He bought a new bodykit for his car, and its getting installed and painted in a week. He offered to sell me his GT sideskirts, and front + back bumpers for $400. I'm considering doing the swap because I like the look of GT's, and my car was originally red at some point, so you can see some red in creases on some parts of the car, and his is originally all black and paint is probably in better condition. If I do the swap, the foglight wiring is already on the LX's correct? So I would just need to get some foglights and a foglight switch off a GT from the wrecker or something? I've also heard that the GT side moulding is wider? So I would have to get side mouldings from a GT at a wrecker as well? How would the sideskirts install? would all of the pieces fit up perfectly to my car? Another thing I would have to switch is the tailpipes. I was thinking of maybe just doing dumps, and selling the brand new polished stainless tailpipes that I got in my flowmaster kit (installed last tuesday). How much could I get for the tailpipes, I was thinkin somewhere around $200 maybe? And then sell my LX front + back bumpers for maybe $50 each or something? Does that about cover everything for the swap, or is there more I need to know?

P.S. all the prices mentioned are in Canadian :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The side skirts, and rear bumper just bolt up, the front bumper is a dif. story(i think) honestly, i wouldn't worry about the foglights, its a pain in the ass to install and not worth it. I don't know how much you could get for the tips. Just don't try to pass it off as a real GT, thats not cool :(

youll need the mounting clips that rivit on to the car to hold the side skirts in place. they run along the bottom of car and there are some in other positions as well I think right around the 5.0 emblem and also behind the door. The nose cone bolts right on as does the rear cone. There are some stiffining brackets youll need for rear bumper also.The fog light plugs are there just need the switch,and youll need a mounting bar.
Here is my conversion lx to gt. I still have the lx door mouldings for now.

feb%2027%2010.JPG

Looking at your car 5.0droptop, I'm trying to figure out, in front of the front wheels, and behind the back wheels - are those small pieces that connect to the bumpers, or is that part of the actual bumpers? So I'd need some rivets, brackets, and a mounting bar, door mouldings, foglight switch, and the actual foglights. I'm sure that stuff wouldn't be very expensive. Once he gets his kit off we're gonna put it up to my car, and as long as the paint matches, I think I'll probably do the swap.

Another question for you droptop, did you switch to the turndown style tailpipes or go with dumps? I dunno if it's just me, but me and my friend with the GT have the same exhaust, except I have headers, and his is deeper when rev'ed, is that because of the turndown tips, the sound echos off the ground? Does anyone know if you lose any power by going to dumps instead of tailpipes?

crazy_canuck999 said:
Looking at your car 5.0droptop, I'm trying to figure out, in front of the front wheels, and behind the back wheels - are those small pieces that connect to the bumpers, or is that part of the actual bumpers? So I'd need some rivets, brackets, and a mounting bar, door mouldings, foglight switch, and the actual foglights. I'm sure that stuff wouldn't be very expensive. Once he gets his kit off we're gonna put it up to my car, and as long as the paint matches, I think I'll probably do the swap.

Another question for you droptop, did you switch to the turndown style tailpipes or go with dumps? I dunno if it's just me, but me and my friend with the GT have the same exhaust, except I have headers, and his is deeper when rev'ed, is that because of the turndown tips, the sound echos off the ground? Does anyone know if you lose any power by going to dumps instead of tailpipes?

The small pieces you mentioned are seperate pieces. I have turn down gt pipes.

I didn't see anyone mention the metal strips that go along the rocker of the car that the gt side skirt sits in. Plus the 2 samller ones that hold the pieces by the wheels. And I would forget about fog lights too, since the frame for them is HEAVY.

And 5.0DropTop, very nice car. My perfect Stang would be a Notch back 93 Cobra replica. The notch's look SOOOOOO hot with a GT kit.