LX vs GT 87-93 FoxBody; Whats the diff?

Hi again,
Recently I've been lookin into a '90 LX Hatch-Back 5.0. I've been told alot of different things on the differences between the LXs and GTs, the biggest being a weight difference because of power equipment (on GTs). Is this pretty much the only difference if they're both 5.0s? Or if not I'd like to get a better informed opinion. I've been lookin around online for a while to see the difference but most sites don't tell you, or put down the weights as the same, e.g. www.edmunds.com.
Thanks,
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

Drive lines are the same in both, the real diff is in the way they look GT to LX. The lx's are lighter due too no ground fx stuff, interiors on the old GTs Vs the LXs are differnt (87 to 90) as well but after 91 they became the same in the 5L cars.So base your choice on looks really i would go for a 90 and up car but thats just me have fun great cars!

GTs were up to 300 pounds heavier due to options and sound proofing. The GT models had more padding under the carpet to quite them down a bit more. The same options were available on both LX and GTs however the GT package included several items, like tilt steering and the lights that tell you your low on gas and windsheild washer fluid. (the only point here is there were no completely stripped down GTs, the GT package alone brought some extras) Other than the bumper trim and spoilers and items mentioned already by others they are the same cars.

GT's are NOT 300 pounds heavier. I have owned an 88 GT and two 89 LX Hatchbacks.

88 GT 5 Speed, sunroof, no front sway bar, no sound insulation under the rear seat or in the trunk, subframes, aluminum driveshaft, Ponys and still had a smog pump and a spare and about an 1/8 of a tank of gas weighed 3260 with me in it

89 LX 5 Speed, 25th Anniversary so it had GT Interior, sunroof, no smog, aluminum driveshaft, Pro Star Knockoffs and about an 1/8 of a tank of gas weighed 3200 with me in it

89 LX 5 Speed, 25th Anniversary so it had GT Interior, Powerdyne, Saleen Body Kit, Chrome Cobra R's, no sound insulation in the trunk or under the rear seat and less than a 1/4 of a tank of gas weighed 3300 with me in it

88 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed weighed 3460 with me in it

The convertible is not much heavier than the regular coupe version, tops about 150lbs heavier. People like to say this is soooo much heavier but they're only going on what some people say and have never bothered to weigh the vehicle. As noted above a GT weighs a hair less than 3100lbs, my CONV Gt weighs 3215. Not much of a difference in my book. So i take exception to the comment my GT is a fat cow lmfao Try calling it a fat cow as it's putting car lengths on you ;)

Onl;y Fox Mustang to come with 3.55's were Saleens and the '93 Cobra.

5.0 LX's and GT's both came with 2.73's standard.

AOD's could get no-cost optional 3.27's
5-spds could get no-cost optional 3.08's.

My '88 LX AOD with every option available weighed 3390 with me in it. That's 3200 without me in it. That's stock with the base model cloth seats.

I've since added a '90 GT black interior so it's prob a tad heavier but i compensated by removing A/C and smog. No idea what it weighs now, but stock number was 3200 for my LX hatchback AOD

myroc said:
My 1990 LX vert is 3230lbs with me in it and i'm 192lbs......so do the math. This was done on a calibrated scale, did it three times and took the average.

Wow, so that "Verts are pigs" thing is kind of a myth?
I mean, 100 lbs more doesn't exactly make it a pig.
of coarse I did have to add SFC's, rollbar, STB, etc, etc to make it stiffer but so have most hatch owners also.
I guess I can't be using that excuse when I get beat any more.

dgollem said:
GTs were up to 300 pounds heavier due to options and sound proofing. The GT models had more padding under the carpet to quite them down a bit more. The same options were available on both LX and GTs however the GT package included several items, like tilt steering and the lights that tell you your low on gas and windsheild washer fluid. (the only point here is there were no completely stripped down GTs, the GT package alone brought some extras) Other than the bumper trim and spoilers and items mentioned already by others they are the same cars.

i had tilt on my 87 lx 5.0

i have seen (87-89)gt's with out even cruise control

and the gt interior came standard on 89+ lx v8s, not 90+ lx v8's

horkn said:
and the gt interior came standard on 89+ lx v8s, not 90+ lx v8's

It's 89+ LX hatchbacks and 91+ LX coupes.

The ONLY option an LX could not have aside from the seats is Fog Lights. Everything else that came on a GT could be optioned on an LX. Lets just say GT's came with more standard options and could be de-optioned while LX's started bare and had to be built up.

Seats can be easily changed

Options can be added later on down the road if you really want.

I've seen fully loaded LX's (mine is one) and even bare bone GT's.

So point in being the only real difference between LX and GT interiors is the fog lights.

ive read all these threads and basicly on average the only difference between the gt and lx is somewhere between 50-250 lbs depending on options? id guess that its all on personal appearance, i like the gt ground effects so thats what i have.