M90 S/c Budget Build

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Ok so my na setup got boring so searching ebay i came across s/c off of a pontiac... Anyway i picked one up for $30 on craigslist and a rebuild kit off ebay. i had planned on building a adapter plate to mount this right to my lower intake. but the dizzy is in the way the snout is far to,short. i can still make it work but alot more fab is required. (mounting it upside down over the passenger valvecover and plumbing it over to a box upper.) i am trying to avoid this, im looking for a cheap way to extend the snout.
If All else fails i can rebuild it and resell. or use this gm piece as a boat anchor. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

IMO....sell it and cut your losses. You're in for a lot of fabbing and headache before this ones done. It has been done and there have been some fast cars running them, but it's not a project for the inexperienced or the faint of heart.

Prior set ups utilized traditional M90/M112's with the removable bolt on style inlet (the same as what you'd find on the Thunderbird SC's) and not the one piece casting integrating the inlet and bypass together with the blower in the same case GM units.

You're better off saving for a proven kit like one of the many popular centrifugal models, or a Kenne Bell unit.

BBK used to make an M90 based kit in the mid/late-90's that just never took off.

the fab work does not bother me i was just hoping for a way to extend the snout to run it as an upper plenum. ive seen the cases drilled and tapped for an outlet cover. but the case is much more bulky than it looks. if i can squeeze this in between the passenger strut tower and the alternator maybe it will work.

Guys have done Thunderbird SC M90's in the past. SOmeone even made a kit with a custom plenum to run these. Don't think it really ever took off.

Last M90 5.0 I saw was a complete 100% fab job. Guy had a good webpage too. Maybe you can still search for it.

null_zps3c0ad8a8.jpg

null_zpsfd42a80c.jpg

Some dude was making a kit that made it bolt onto a gt40/cobra lower but it didn't take off like listed above.

Doing it like on the pics seems the easiest way.

There is a thread with a detailed build but I still can't find it.

Reactions: 1 user
But it's not different. It was a mass produced kit at one point. It failed because for the same money a centrifugal charger would put the m90 to shame.

Too bad there wasn't a lower manifold that would accept the terminator blower.

But like said. Unless significantly cheaper, a centrifugal is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

There was a guy that made termi adapter plates for stock lowers and cobra/gt40s for a while. Aside from the cool factor it still wasn't a very worthwhile swap.

But it's not different. It was a mass produced kit at one point. It failed because for the same money a centrifugal charger would put the m90 to shame.

Yes and no. It was BBK who mass produced it back in the day and they only rated their kit at 5-6psi to meet Commifornia's CARB approval ratings. Guy's have since built custom set ups running in the 8-10psi range without any after cooling making somewhere in the 360-370rwhp range with your basic Explorer top end. That's as good or better numbers than most SN-series Paxton's, or A, B-trim Vortech's of that same era. The potential was there for a healthy little kit.....BBK just never utilized it. For comparison sake, I made 410hp/465tq with an after cooled and overspun 3rd Gen M90S on my last bolt on 4.6L.

Thats the guy I was thinking of.

I love his creativity, but just hate the look of a roots blower not sitting in the center valley of the engine. But then again, who's really gonna see it?

Yeah, that Alex guy's car moves too. He ran MM&FF a few years ago during their "Luxobarge Shootout" and came in third place behind the guy who helped me set up the blower on my Cougar.

That was back when he was still running the M90. He's got an M112 on it now (as you can see by his thread title).