MAC H INSTALL - Few Quick Newb Questions...

Ok, I will be installing my MAC O/R H for the first time later today and just had a few quick questions after looking at the pipe (tried searching but didn't find any info that I was looking for):

1. There are two 02 sensor bungs on the rear of the pipe for the rear 02's. But if I am using MILS, don't the 02's just plug into the MILS and thats that? Then what plugs into these holes?? Or do I plug the other end of the MIL's into each hole, because from install instructions I have seen, it says to tie up the MIL's away from the pipe. So what goes into these holes, or do I just leave them open (but wouldn't that cause an exhaust leak)?

PIC of the bungs:

1zt2.jpg

2. Should I bolt the 3 piece pipe all together before installing it on the car, just don't tighten everything fully until its all in place?? And which way is the H suppose to face? Theres a long portion and short portion, does the longer portion go on the driver side or vice versa?

PIC of how I have it now, is it right or backwards?

2lu5.jpg

3ss1.jpg

3. Next, for that little flange that comes with the pipe. I know it is to be used for the driver side pipe that goes to the manifold. But do you insert it into the pipe like so, or into the manifold?

PIC of how i believe it is to be inserted:

4rc6.jpg

4. And last for the gasket on the passenger side, do I use the MAC one and throw away the OEM one on there? Or should I double them up, or use the OEM vs. MAC?? And to hold it in place while I bolt it on, I read I should use some rubber bands, just wrap two around the gasket to hold it on??

Thanks for the help! I just want to make sure I don't get lost while doing this and thought id ask some questions I had while looking over the pipe.

My midpipe has already been off the car a few times, so I know it wont be rusted on there as I have had at least 4 exhaust setups before this but have never installed one myself! Now that I have the time, I want to take a crack at it. I took off my catback yesterday and that was no problem, so I just need to get some tips on removing the stock H and replacing it with the MAC.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome! Thanks for the help...

Attachments

• 1zt2.jpg
    1zt2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 77
  • 2lu5.jpg
    2lu5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 67
  • 3ss1.jpg
    3ss1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 81
  • 4rc6.jpg
    4rc6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 76
  • Sponsors (?)

1. You cant leave the o2 holes open, it will cause a massive exhaust leak. Plug them with the o2s, I beleive the MIL's either get plugged or spliced in at the connector for the o2s and the rest of the wires. Im not 100% sure on that.

2. If it didnt come fully assembeled put it goether one part at a time. It will be easier, some pipes wont physically fit if you put them up in one peice. Once your under there youll see the only way the parts will fit up.

3. That "cup" is to be dropped in the end of the drivers side tube. Drivers side usees ball and socket fitting, not a gasket.

4. If your stock one isnt ripped its fine to use it. However, if it is just use the MAC one. If it sucks buy another stocker.

Have fun, I hope you have enough room to jack the car up, lol. Gets kind of cramped under there. Hint... use a breaker bar for the manifold bolts. They will be on tight.

I'd try taking the old midpipe down before assembling the new one, just to make sure. I have this H pipe but I can't remember :p Also, make sure you put the O2 sensors into the bungs in the new pipe BEFORE you install the new pipe... you'll save a lot of time. I put mine on in one piece with the two middle connections loose, there was no problem. Also burning is right, the O2 elims plug into the O2 sensors on one side and the wires on the other. The O2 sensors are still connected in the pipe. Don't forget to at least zip tie the elims to the tranny mount or somewhere around it... if they touch the pipe it's insta-melt.

Oh, and you'll LOVE the sound. I get compliments all the time on my MAC H/Flowmaster delta combo.

Use your O2 sensors. The holes MUST be filled. If you have the plug-n-play MIL's, simply plug them between the O2 connector and the harness connector.

The "H" portion of the pipe can only go one way. You will notice the pipes coming from the mufflers, one is longer than the other. Match your H pipe to the tailpipes accordingly.

The metal insert goes in the H pipe. And when putting it all together, it will be easier in pieces so you can get it all set up. But once its all bolted together, you can remove and install it as one piece.

I wouldn't use the Mac gasket. I would reuse the factory gasket or go buy a replacement for $8 at your local ford dealer.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you start.

Before you tighten up all the midpipe sections completely, jack up the center section as high as you can get it and then tighten all bolts. That will allow the H pipe to sit closer to the body.

http://www.sgarlic.com/04stang/macpipe.html

No pics of that install.. sorry.

Anyway,

1) You have to put the rear's back in. Someday, you'll take the pipe off, for whatever reason, and if you don't have the rear o2's, you'll kick yourself for not just putting them back in.

2) You can do it either way. I assembled mine, then installed it.

3) The way your picture shows is correct.

4) Buy a new Ford gasket. They are like 6 bucks. Don't use the mac one.

Lastly, spray some sort of engine enamel or protective coating on that thing before you install it.