MAC longtubes and starter removal

Skud

Sep 10, 2003
Saskatchewan
CAN BE DONE!! You don't need to drop the K member or unhook the header.

What you need:
===========

1) 3/8" ratchet
2) One of those "swivel" 3/8" extension sets from sears.. It comes with three extensions in 3" 6" and 10" lengths (I think). They also slightly swivel at the joints..
3) Another 6" and 10" extension. The ones I had came with a socket set..
3) A 3/8" swivel
4) 13mm deep socket
5) Some electrical tape.

What I had to do:
============
1) Wrap the swivel in ONE layer of electrical tape. This will prevent it from flopping all over the place..

2) Remove the front passenger wheel

3) Unmount the A/C compressor.. You don't need to unhook anything, but you do need to push it around.

4) Pull back the splash guard in the wheel well. If you have a mini-maglite you can shine a light in and you can actually SEE the bolt. You need to look very closely through the header tubes, but you CAN see it. You can set the flashlight in between the k member and use the splash guard to hold the flashlight there..

5) Put all your extensions together. I went like so..
- 13mm socket
- swivel
- small swivel extension
- medium swivel extension
- long swivel extension
- long extension
- short extension

6) Position yourself so that you're lying with your head towards the rear of the car. Your body is lying under the control arm/rotor (check those jackstands!!) and your feet stick out the front of the car, under the passenger fog light. This will allow you to move the extensions with your right hand and hold yourself up with your left arm to see where you're guiding it.

Guide the extensions though the TOP of the motor mount. There should be JUST enough room.

You will be able to see when the socket goes over the bolt.. When it does, make sure you keep pressure on it and swing yourself around to turn the ratchet. I HIGHLY recommend waiting until you have the socket on the bolt BEFORE you attach the ratchet. This will make it much easier to move things around..

Riley

• Sponsors (?)