Mac Shorty Headers

boricuaitaliano

Jun 28, 2004
I have been working on installing Mac Shorty headers and H Pipe for about two weeks and gladly to say, I think I am finish. After installation I fired up my car and noticed more smoke coming from the passenger side then the driver side so I tuned it off 5 minutes from running. I do understand the headers will smoke from grease and stuff. I didnt hear any ticking noise but noticed severe smoke leaking from headers or H Pipe.
Is this normal or should I let my car run longer to see if smoke stops or tighten my bolts?

• Sponsors (?)

You had your car running for 5 minues and it still smoked? Make sure all your bolts are tight (just don't snap any studs) and take your car for a short trip around the block. That's all I could think of. :shrug: Maybe someone else will chime in?

On my last car i installed the shorty headers and drove it for about five minutes and when i brought it back and let it idle it was still smoking. More than likely if you dont hear ticking or if the car hasn't become extremely loud after the install its probably just the grease on them.
If you hear ticking or if the car seems really loud now then it's a leak.

Okay,
I was just worried because the passenger side was smoking more then the driver side and the garage was filled with smoke exhaust. I am going to tighten them again just to make sure. Also on the passenger side there is this long pipe piece that comes from the header to the engine, what is that? I have some smoke coming from there as well.
Let me ask you guys this question:
Was I suppose to torque the headers? Because if I am suppose to I didn't, reason being I couldn't get sockets in the bolts because of the fat tubing.
Joe.