MAC straight shot installed

RoadracerGT

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2002
Loudon, TN
I installed the MAC straight shot(no MAF)today in my fairly stock 02 GT today. I can tell you right now, it looks very pretty but in order for me to install mine correctly, I had to take about 1 to 1 1/2 inches off the elbow pipe where it joins to the MAF. And let me tell you, that pipe is thick and freakin' HEAVY! :eek:

Once installed and re-polished up from the hack saw usage, I must admit, it fit snug and looked pretty good.

As for performance, it was decent. Kinda felt like the difference between running with a FULL tank of gas, vs. a completely empty(gas light on)gas tank.

I had the batt. disconnected throughout the install, and hooked it back up and drove the crap out of it for 20 to 30 minutes like MAC suggests. The most noticeable difference I thought was a good 4th gear pull on the interstate, seemed to be more "free".

Honestly, I'm not real happy with it, but only reason for purchase was that my OE rubber intake hose ripped around my 75mm throttle body. Steeda may have been a better choice for fit reasons, but im not spending over 200$ for a MOD that I "might" feel.

I still need to remove the elbow one more time to drill a hole for the N20 nozzle and try a few runs with the 100shot, but I dont forsee it making a difference.

Tony

• Sponsors (?)

RoadracerGT said:
I installed the MAC straight shot(no MAF)today in my fairly stock 02 GT today. I can tell you right now, it looks very pretty but in order for me to install mine correctly, I had to take about 1 to 1 1/2 inches off the elbow pipe where it joins to the MAF. And let me tell you, that pipe is thick and freakin' HEAVY! :eek:

Once installed and re-polished up from the hack saw usage, I must admit, it fit snug and looked pretty good.

As for performance, it was decent. Kinda felt like the difference between running with a FULL tank of gas, vs. a completely empty(gas light on)gas tank.

I had the batt. disconnected throughout the install, and hooked it back up and drove the crap out of it for 20 to 30 minutes like MAC suggests. The most noticeable difference I thought was a good 4th gear pull on the interstate, seemed to be more "free".

Honestly, I'm not real happy with it, but only reason for purchase was that my OE rubber intake hose ripped around my 75mm throttle body. Steeda may have been a better choice for fit reasons, but im not spending over 200$ for a MOD that I "might" feel.

I still need to remove the elbow one more time to drill a hole for the N20 nozzle and try a few runs with the 100shot, but I dont forsee it making a difference.

Tony

This is the 2nd time that I've read it needs to be adapted (cutting off 1 1/2 inches) and I have a problem with that....Why does it need to be adapted?
It should be a plug and play.

RoadracerGT said:
It wasnt that big of a deal, a good sharp circular saw took care of it, along with some sandpaper to smooth it out.

It works, it gets air to the motor. :)

Not a question that it works. But for that price and claim it's a replacement you shouldn't have to cut anything off.

Remember it wasn't built in someone's garage.

Mustang225 makes a good point.....why should you spend that much money for this and then have to take a saw and cut it to fit!!!! Thats :bs: I was think of buying this kit but now i am not so sure. Maybe the K&N kit is a better way to go....At least i know it fits.....

I think I was the first one to complain about chopping up the elbow last week. I have a picture of why it won't fit right. I just keep forgetting to upload it. What happens is when you mount the airfilter and MAF to the body(fender) and connect the elbow to the MAF, it ends up placing the elbow about 1" to 1.5" up and behind the throttle body. You can force it to fit, but it binds on the rubber joints and it looks like A$$. I just used a 9" recip. and the problem was fixed in about a minute. I think it looks a lot better than the previous CAI (bends inside fender). And to be honest with you the tube does not get as hot. The metal is thicker and seems to be more rigid. But it is still a CAI that might help. My main reason for getting it was to get rid of the 90 degree bend in my original CAI.

im with you on that one. i am dumping my original mac cai(in fender) for the steeda one. i was expecting it today, but no cigar. maybe tomarrow. just to get rid of the 90 degree bend, i think that that really messes up air floe.

rpayne20 said:
Mustang225 makes a good point.....why should you spend that much money for this and then have to take a saw and cut it to fit!!!! Thats :bs: I was think of buying this kit but now i am not so sure. Maybe the K&N kit is a better way to go....At least i know it fits.....

That's all I've been hearing about it. So far i've heard crap about everything MAC makes. I wouldnt trust a damn thing from them. I have personally the C&L Tru-fit pipe, dont count it out of options for a new intake. It's great. It fits so perfectly, i was amazed. :shrug:

Well, I went and did some runs on a GTECH today because I was bored and it was 70 degrees outside.

Actuall N/A quarter mile, the car went 13.85@102, this was on a REAL 1/4 mile track at Steele, AL.

I ran the car on the GTECH before the 13.85 1/4 run and i got alota 13.7's@105's. Not off by too far, accurate enough for ****s'n'giggles.

Well, today I used the GTECH and got 13.45 best and a buncha 13.5's@107, that was N/A.

Ive never ran the N20 at a track before but the best it did on the 100shot before the MAC install was 12.35@118, but 12.5's were more normal.

On the GTECH with the 100shot N20 the car did a best of 12.22@119, and 2 other passes in the 12.3's.

Even if the test has alota extra variables..........I sure had fun playing! :D

When I goto the track sometime, ill try taking the headlight out, ive heard claims of one or two tenths and 1mph. We'll see.

Still, after this product review/install, I've cleared my head of a MAC ProChamber/H-pipe. Ill prolly get a MustangTuning X or the UPR X. Cant think of any other cheap H-pipes for my car. I can handle intake stuff, but when I gotta start crawlin' under the damn car to fix **** thats HOT...........i get pissed.

And to note, mods on the car are:
C&L upper intake/ACCUfab Throttle body
Steeda Pullies
4.10 gear
4 point Autometer SCCA rollcage
Misc. autox/roadrace suspension stuff

Few other things for autoxing, but nothing that would really make a difference. I like to cone race/road race alot more than drag racing.

kboy262 said:
I never had a problem with any of the MAC products before, until now. I guess I was just lucky in the past. But after this issue I was pretty pissed. Most likely will not buy from them again. Murphy's Law!

Has anyone called MAC to ask them what's going on.

If someone wants to list or PM their phone number I'll call them myself tomorrow.

I think MAC sells two variations of this CAI, one with a larger than stock mass air meter and one without. I wonder if their reproduction mass air meter on the full kit is shorter length-wise than the stock Ford mass air meter. If so this might explain the difference in fit (though it doesn't excuse selling a "bolt-on" you have to modify). Does anyone here have the full kit?

Update...I was able to obtain the phone number for MAC and will call them tomorrow to get their scoop on the straight shot having to be adapted to be installed.

If anyone here has any tech questions regarding the install that I should ask please list them.

Thanks

im still confused to as why some of yall are cutting....i had no problem with fitment...it was snug but it fit perfect in mine......and i was very happy with the performance increase....it wasnt neck breaking difference no but i mean come on its just a cai what did u expect? I still highly recomend the mac straight shot...oh i have the full kit too by the way (with maf) and if i remember correctly the new maf was the same length (if not longer) as the stock one just wider opening

I have the full system too and have had no problems with the fitment. I also got a flange to use my stock maf too and am currently using it until i get a custom tune after all mods and the kit still fits the same. The stock maf and the one with the full system are the same length just a different diameter.

UPDATE to Mac Straight shot.

I spoke to a service tech today at MAC. He said that he's only heard of one problem where the straight shot didn't fit properly and felt it was the installer who caused the problem considering that he's sold over 500 of them.

But here's the kicker.

He told me to hold off buying it as MAC will be coming out within 2 weeks with an upgraded model. At present the MAF is a separate piece and is 5 inches in length. With the new system the MAF will be part of the elbow and will be a total of 14 inches in length. Claimed this was done for performance reasons and not fit reasons but will add an additional 40cfm's for better air flow.

So while I was going to order it now, it's better to hold off a few weeks to see what it looks like.