Mach 1 Chin Spoiler Question

• Sponsors (?)

Todd00GT1 said:
Yeah, it only came w/3 plastic pushpins. Will they work good enough? I thought it may need more than that.
you need to use all (or at least most) of the holes in the chin spoiler. Go to any auto parts store and get Ford specific plastic push pins. They're cheap, maybe $3 for 15-20 :shrug:

Beware, I seem to be the only one to ever loose a chin spoiler to the plastic push pins. They held it on there for a good 4-5 months, then one day on the interstate......:nonono: You should be perfectly fine with the push pins, just use as many as them as you can and make sure they are pushed all the way through.

My new chin has real hardware with over-sized washers holding it to the bumper. Legend has it that if I ever scrape my chin too hard it will take the entire bumper with it. I'll take my chances with the hardware.

I used 15 of the "pine tree" push-on fasteners. No issues here, and when I drive my car (been about 3 weeks since I have) I cruise at about 80mph almost the whole time of my 25 mile commute. No problems at all yet.
helty said:
I seem to be the only one to ever loose a chin spoiler to the plastic push pins. They held it on there for a good 4-5 months, then one day on the interstate......:nonono:
I think the installer is the fault here. :p

timeless2 said:
I think the installer is the fault here. :p
probably. except for that detail about it staying on there for 5 months without the slightest sign of coming loose. :shrug:

Oh and how they sheared off :mad:

pushpin005.jpg

Attachments

• pushpin005.jpg
    pushpin005.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 103
It will take 14 push pins, mine cost .99 each but worth it to do it right.
Dont use screws or the pine tree type. The push pins have a wide washer
which holds tight, just drill the holes as small as posible and you will have
a perfect install. Some one is making a 900% profit on those push pins
thats for sure.

timeless2 said:
Maybe the holes were drilled out too far? :shrug:
in which case they would have worked themselves loose and eventually fell out, right? That was my first theory. But last weekend as I was installing the new one, for chits n giggles I installed a push pin (which was a pita getting in) and tried to pull it, yank it, and pry it out. It just wasnt happening. I had to use some dykes to cut it out.

.... said:
I can baaaaaarely make that out--that is one of the new fasteners you are using?
no, thats whats left of one of the original push pins. Its just the head and 2.....threads? if thats what you wanna call them. The other 4 that gave way look just like it.

helty said:
in which case they would have worked themselves loose and eventually fell out, right? That was my first theory. But last weekend as I was installing the new one, for chits n giggles I installed a push pin (which was a pita getting in) and tried to pull it, yank it, and pry it out. It just wasnt happening. I had to use some dykes to cut it out.
Odd indeed. :scratch:
helty said:
no, thats whats left of one of the original push pins. Its just the head and 2.....threads? if thats what you wanna call them. The other 4 that gave way look just like it.
Wow...

I dont know how most of you installed yours,but I used a floor jack in the center of the spoiler and jacked it up just enough to hold it up.then got everthing centered where I wanted it and taped the ends up.Then started at the center drilling holes 1 at a time.Made them small enough(I used the barbed type push pins)so I had to push fairly hard to get them in.I guarantee they will not come loose.
Have to take in for alignment tomorrow,hopefully they dont catch it on the alignment rack when running up on it.Gonna make sure to advise them and take the service writer out for a walkaround to show him there are absolutely no scratches,dings or anything on the car or wheels.I have seen it too many times that people find scratches etc on there car after work and the techs,shop say it was there before,wasnt their fault.