Mach 1 Eaton Swap

• Sponsors (?)

Since this stage of my project are done I thought I'd post up. I had a P1SC on the car making 468RWHP and was planning on a new shortblock so I could turn it up but wasn't happy with the options out there for the centrifugal blowers. You have to upgrade to an 8 rib set up and that can present problems of it's own and belt slip isn't always eliminated, narrow power band, belt alignment, etc... To get 600RWHP reliable it was more than I wanted to deal with.

My alternative was the Eaton set up that obviously is a factory setup and with a whipple on top can easily make 600RWHP with minimal belt issues.

My plan was to first sell the P1SC, convert the engine to the 03/04 Cobra set up so I could work out all the bugs, build the shortblock and eventually buy a whipple. Right now the car is converted over and the shortblock build up will start next week.

I picked up all the parts needed for $2500 and ended up with and upgraded heat exchanger and a stock eaton and a ported eaton with 2.76 pulley. While I did this I also upgraded to dual FPDMs, Ford GT pumps in a 03/04 Cobra hat.

First night starting the tear down of the stock engine.
032909a.jpg

While doing the swap I also got another pair of valve covers and had them powder coated so I had to pull the stock ones. Everything pulled and ready for the swap.
040209b.jpg

Block modified (ground down the knock sensor bosses), new timing cover and valve covers on.
040309v.jpg

Lower intake, intercooler, blower, accessories and belt on, pulley bridge installed.
040409b.jpg

Dual FPDM wiring harness.
fpdmharness.jpg

Everything but fluids filled.
1000653u.jpg

New bumper cover to fit over the dual pass heat exchanger.
mach1b.jpg

Last week I had the car tuned and with 17* of timing it made 436RWHP/419RWTQ on a MustangDyno, which is roughly 10-13% lower than a dynojet so I had them pull 2* of timing and it made 411RWHP/392RWTQ. I wasn't looking for big power just enough to have some fun while I get the shortblock built.

Bill

That is sick!!!Awesome job Bill :nice:!!Another project of yours i will need to follow!!LOL!
I use to follow your other project,your '99 GT!Helped me decided on cam company,and your tech article on the Bullitt intake swap was useful too.You were a very usefull "bible" like individual for the 2V crowd on Mod Depot.You were the very few that did it,and pushed it.
Interesting to see where you go with the blown 4V.
Good luck.

what kind of oil pressure issues did you have? obviously it was low. but how low was it?

After the car got to full temp I came to a light and the stock gauge dropped to L then came right back. I disregarded it for a fluke and took it to the track. I made two passes and on my way home came to a light and after 30 seconds of idling it dropped to L and stayed there till I gave it some gas.

Tonight I drained the oil, installed an auto meter gauge and refilled with 10w40 (was using 5w20) and pressure gets down to 12psi at idle at full temp, stock gauge shows normal, at WOT it goes to 75psi+.

So it's driveable so I can hit up the local car show/hang out but I'm not going to push it hard since I really don't want to trash the heads/cams. The new shortblock was underway regardless. This just puts more urgency on wanting to get it done.

Bill

That is sick!!!Awesome job Bill :nice:!!Another project of yours i will need to follow!!LOL!
I use to follow your other project,your '99 GT!Helped me decided on cam company,and your tech article on the Bullitt intake swap was useful too.You were a very usefull "bible" like individual for the 2V crowd on Mod Depot.You were the very few that did it,and pushed it.
Interesting to see where you go with the blown 4V.
Good luck.

Glad to hear someone got some use of those articles. I nearly built another NA 2V but I couldn't pass up the deal on this car at the time. I bought it thinking I wouldn't do much to it but that didn't last long.

Bill