Mach 1 Mach 1 rpm question

Discussion in 'Special Production' started by swaftom, Aug 23, 2006.

1. swaftom

swaftom New Member

I am hoping someone can shed some light on what appears to be another weird Ford decision. My 04 Mach has the 4r70w auto trans, with a 5800 rpm redline. I noticed on videos that the 5 speeds have around 6800 rpm redlines. Does anyone know why? Do you think there could be internal differences, such as cam specs, but that would be kind of like a bait and switch, or do you think Ford might be trying to keep the trans together for longevity by not allowing as high of revs? Any suggestions are helpful, thanks.
  2. Crzyhrse

Crzyhrse Active Member

Yes, the 5 speed is 6,800. I can't remember but I think they made the auto 5,800 because it could'nt handle the high 6,800 RPM's without grenading. :shrug: Also, the 5 speed has a forged crank as to the auto is cast crank. Maybe that has something to do with it also. I don't know, I'm not a mechanic.
  3. TR03Mach1

TR03Mach1 Member

Everything in the motor of an automatic equipped Mach 1 is the same as the 5-speed, until you get to the crankshaft/flywheel. The autos have a cast crankshaft and 6-bolt flywheel vs the 5-speeds forged steel crankshaft and 8-bolt flywheel.

I don't think anybody has thoroughly explained the rpm difference, but I have to assume it does have something to do with the longevity of the automatic transmission. The motor/trans setup in the automatic Mach 1 is pretty much identical to the Marauder and Lincoln Aviator.
  4. carvermach

carvermach New Member

I have my rev-limiter set at 6600 rmps I go thru the traps at 6400 rpms no problems with 4600 miles on her. My last car 01 Gt same thing with 6300 miles on it. Just don't shift into overdrive a wot it will cook the bands.
  5. DTMach1

DTMach1 New Member

It doesn't really have anything to do with anything other than the 6-bolt crank/flywheel.