Mach 1 Springs On A Foxbody?

I have a friend with a complete set of 03' Mach 1 springs that he took off his old car. He says they'll work on my 90 GT and will lower it maybe an inch or so. The spring rate's between foxbody's and Mach 1's are different and I was wondering if this swap would be capable and would indeed work and lower my car? He's want 100 bucks for his set also, worth it? Forgive me, I'm new to the world of coil springs/suspension.

Here's some spring rates at pounds per inch:

5.0 foxbody

front....426
rear.....185

Mach 1

front....600
rear.....250

00 GT

front....450
rear.....210

• Sponsors (?)

i would spend another 100 and get a quality set, or see if he will let you test them out first..if you go through the hassle of installing worse springs then you already have, plus spending 100 bucks on em would be a total loss IMO, but they could work out..

~Mark~

I have Mach 1 springs in my vert. However, you'll note I said vert, so we are not comparing apples to apples.

All in all I'm pretty happy, though the rear is a bit soft (the difference between my old springs and the Mach's is HUGE. The old ones were uber beefy and the Mach's a tiny).

Others have swapped Machs into a fox, so there should be a lot of opinions out there if you give the thread a little time. The one guy I can think of off the top of my head whom has Bullitt's (arguably the same spring as Mach's) is Shakerhood. Maybe he will see this or you can PM him if needed.

And that price is about the going rate on the classifeds, including shipping. If there's no shipping for you, I'd see if the price can be lowered (I think I just saw a set or two going for 75 plus shipping, for example)

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Another dumb question......when installing another set of springs, do most guys just change out the fronts or does everyone do all 4? I've seen lots of classifieds just advertising for selling just the fronts.

Also, will I need to get new struts to match the springs since it'll be a different spring rate (stiffness)?

No. Everybody usually does all 4. The reason i think you only see the fronts for sale is because no body wants rear springs out of a car, i guess because of spring rate. Question for you, why is your so called friend even selling the springs to you? I gave my front springs out of my 03 cobra away to a complete stranger on svtp. The person just payed shipping. The springs are not worth 100 bucks because they are what they are. Like someone else said pay the extra cash and get a whole set. I bought ford racing "c" springs for my fox brand new from 50 resto.com for 150. Andd beleive me it lowered the car real good and gave it a real tight ride. Stiff.

Thanks for the replies. Another dumb question......when installing another set of springs, do most guys just change out the fronts or does everyone do all 4? I've seen lots of classifieds just advertising for selling just the fronts.

Also, will I need to get new struts to match the springs since it'll be a different spring rate (stiffness)?

you dont need new struts but it makes a big difference upgrading. I went with KYB's all around

IMHO, you should not need new dampers just because of the change in springs. These are an OEM spring and not radical at all IMHO (with poly isolators, they barely dropped my heavy vert at all in the front, and the back did drop some, which wasnt what I wanted).

A lot of guys are really picky about the aesthetic of the front (more than the rear), which is why I think you see ads for the rears (they keep whatever aftermarket rear springs they initially installed, but might go from Mach 1's, to C's or H&R's in the front. Ergo, they end up with extra springs, front and rear, but not matching sets). I might go from Mach 1 fronts to C's up front myself.

If you decide to try them out, I do like Mark's idea about your buddy letting you test the springs out before buying. If you hate them, give 'em back, no harm no foul. The drop will be really subtle IMHO (if you're looking for a lowered look, these might not be for you).

Miscellaneous ramblings.

Good luck.

IMHO, you should not need new dampers just because of the change in springs. These are an OEM spring and not radical at all IMHO (with poly isolators, they barely dropped my heavy vert at all in the front, and the back did drop some, which wasnt what I wanted).

A lot of guys are really picky about the aesthetic of the front (more than the rear), which is why I think you see ads for the rears (they keep whatever aftermarket rear springs they initially installed, but might go from Mach 1's, to C's or H&R's in the front. Ergo, they end up with extra springs, front and rear, but not matching sets). I might go from Mach 1 fronts to C's up front myself.

If you decide to try them out, I do like Mark's idea about your buddy letting you test the springs out before buying. If you hate them, give 'em back, no harm no foul. The drop will be really subtle IMHO (if you're looking for a lowered look, these might not be for you).

Miscellaneous ramblings.

Good luck.

Really thogh. If the guy is indeed his friend. Why the heck is he charging him a 100 bucks for those springs? I would seriously fork over the extra 50 and get "c" springs. Cut one coil off the rears if you put new top and bottom iso's in:nice:

i would spend another 100 and get a quality set, or see if he will let you test them out first..if you go through the hassle of installing worse springs then you already have, plus spending 100 bucks on em would be a total loss IMO, but they could work out..~Mark~
WTF? WHO makes a better set of springs than Ford OEM springs?????
Have you EVER seen of a set of Ford OEM springs (made after 1980) that sagged. NO!!!!!!! The bushing wear out, and THAT causes the fender height to drop. The Ford OEM springs (and other OEM springs) do NOT sag or "wear out" over time. They can get rusty and rust to the FCA. But, that can happen to any spring.

Really thogh. If the guy is indeed his friend. Why the heck is he charging him a 100 bucks for those springs? I would seriously fork over the extra 50 and get "c" springs. Cut one coil off the rears if you put new top and bottom iso's in:nice:
IMHO, "C" springs are too low.

If you don't change the rear (not required), then the front will be LOWER!! The CG gets moved forward - basic suspension theory.

The guy selling them is a friend of over ten years and he's not out to take my money or anything. He doesn't have internet and doesn't know the value on any parts. He simply told me he thinks 100 bucks is fair and that he'll let me try them out if I need to. I'm sure he's willing to drop a little off the price so it doesn't have me concerned that I might be overpaying. Good stuff in this thread. Thanks for the replies. I'll likely wind up going with new struts if I decided I like the Mach's. From everything I've read, these seem perfect for my car. I've got 17's and a high incline driveway so these should work great.

I sell stuff to friends all the time. I have a business, so they understand, that I can't just give it to them. Even is it is my own, stuff I sell it. I have bought stuff off of them too. I have known all my Mustang friends for over 20 years.

The guy selling them is a friend of over ten years and he's not out to take my money or anything. He doesn't have internet and doesn't know the value on any parts. He simply told me he thinks 100 bucks is fair and that he'll let me try them out if I need to.
$100 is a fair price for a set of all 4 springs from a Mach. Especially if the fronts have the lower isolators. Chance are your's are shot. If you bought the springs from someone/somewhere else, you'd also pay $20-$40+ just for shipping.

My parents also have a high incline from the street to the driveway. That's *common* in cities where there's a curb and a sidewalk. I have to take it easy with my lowered T-bird (lowered less than 1"). On my Stang, I have a 2.5" x-pipe and 2.5" exhaust. So, the exhaust on my Stang is the lowest point. Forget about lowering my Stang more than 1" and not scraping the ramp from the street to the house driveway. :)

Also, the streets in New England SUCK!! IMHO, people with slammed cars in New England are complete and total fools. The cars often bottom out their suspension. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be hilarious!

100 bucks isn't really worth it unless those are the springs that you want. Especially for some used springs from a friend. I would put another 100 and get the exact springs you want if there is something else you were thinking about. Brand new B springs for example are 150 and are made for your car from summit.
Kevin

These are the springs that I want. I don't want any more than a one inch drop. I talked to him today and mentioned the price and he basically told me that if I like them to just give him whatever I think is fair. My ride right now is HARSH, and I mean HARSH. I have subframes and now my only concern about it is how much harsher the ride will be will these springs. If it's too bad, I'm definately on the lookout for some Mach/Bullit shocks and struts.

ShortThrow50, it's good to know they're still some old fashioned guys out there. My friend is generally like you too, except he'd like to get "something" for his springs considering he took them off his 03 Mach with only 1500 or so odd miles. Besides, his uncle is putting them on for me for dirt cheap so I don't feel bad about the price.

100 bucks isn't really worth it unless those are the springs that you want. Especially for some used springs from a friend. I would put another 100 and get the exact springs you want if there is something else you were thinking about. Brand new B springs for example are 150 and are made for your car from summit.
Kevin
Actually, B springs were not made for the Mustang. They were made for another car. Most Ford front coil springs will "fit" other cars/trucks. Also, IMHO, they are a HUGE JOKE! The drop is way too much for that spring rate. It's better to cut stock GT springs by ~0.3" and get a drop of ~0.7" and you also get a slightly higher spring rate. You can cut a GT spring to get the same height as a POS B spring, and you also get the slightly higher spring rate by cutting the spring.

BTW: OEM springs do NOT sag!! The isolators wear down. Anyone that tells you that OEM Automotive springs made after ~1980 "sag" should get a clue!

Once again, IMHO, the Mach1 and Bullitt springs are the BEST choice for Stangs on REAL WORLD streets. WHY do you think that the Ford engineers went HIGHER with the Mach1 springs from when they did the Bullitt springs? There's no cost difference. In fact, it COST Ford $$ to spec and stock the Mach1 spring that has just a 1/4" rise over the Bullitt springs.

I put the POS B springs on my car. What a joke! I love my lowered T-Bird. Not too low, and a firm ride. My Stang with B springs felt ricer to me. My FWD '94 Olds Achieva handled better on real world streets, real world rotaries, real world on/off ramps, etc! So, with B springs, I had a Stang that was too low, handled like cr*p (the CG is messed up), and could bottom out the suspension without trying that hard on the typical POS New England roads. BTW: I have dual adj Tok struts on my Stang. So, don't tell me it was because of a strut rate mismatch.

They may be fine for some people. But, IMHO, that are not a spring to get for better handling or even for the qtr mile! So, then, WHY then use the B springs? If you want a car that is that low (1.5" drop, NOT want incorrect FRPP book says), then go with a spring with a rate of 700-800+. IMHO, even the C springs are marginal with the drop they have.