Mach 460 6 disc swap completed

• Sponsors (?)

The whole upgrade did not cost that much. I had to buy the new bezel (ebay), and CD6 head unit (again, ebay) for about $120 total. It took a long time and a lot of patients. I had to cut and modify the dash frame to make the new bezel fit. That itself did not take too long.

Figuring out the wiring took a long time. I got schematics from various places on the internet which in the long run really helped.

I found out that the new H.U. actually has the high pass amplifier built right into it. In the 2000 and older Mach 460 systems, you have to completely bypass the high pass amp for this to work. I'm not sure how the 2001+ Mach 460 systems are configured but my guess is they don't have the high pass amp under the head unit.

I'm not quite finished with the whole project. I still need to find and install the proper wiring connectors/harnesses and tune my sub amp. I also have a little noise in the system I need to research and fix.

Overall, I am pleased with the results and it has been worth the effort. I love the functionality of the CD6.

GTVertY2K said:
I found out that the new H.U. actually has the high pass amplifier built right into it. In the 2000 and older Mach 460 systems, you have to completely bypass the high pass amp for this to work. I'm not sure how the 2001+ Mach 460 systems are configured but my guess is they don't have the high pass amp under the head unit.

Nope, in the 2001+ systems, the head unit is not amplified at all. All the amps are located in the trunk under the rear speakers.

Also, the 2001's are not wired to take advantage of the speed sensitive volume control of the CD-6. Only the 2002+ got that part wired correctly. I know 2001's can be modified so the feature will work, id imagine a 99-00 would take a little more work than that.

The speed volume and the RDS are my two fav features of the new CD-6 Mach 460

Mustang5L5 said:
Nope, in the 2001+ systems, the head unit is not amplified at all. All the amps are located in the trunk under the rear speakers.

Also, the 2001's are not wired to take advantage of the speed sensitive volume control of the CD-6. Only the 2002+ got that part wired correctly. I know 2001's can be modified so the feature will work, id imagine a 99-00 would take a little more work than that.

The speed volume and the RDS are my two fav features of the new CD-6 Mach 460

Are there 3 amps or 2 amps in the trunk? I have bypassed the front (high pass) amp entirely and power seems fine.

I was able to do the speed volume mod for my cd6 unit based on the info at mustangworld.com. It is a cool feature.

GTVertY2K said:
Are there 3 amps or 2 amps in the trunk? I have bypassed the front (high pass) amp entirely and power seems fine.

At least two. I will need to look more closely to see if there is a 3rd. There are two large silver amps on each side of the tray under the rear deck.

UPDATE

I had to make my own harness for the rear amp signals. I could not find the right one on anywhere on the internet. I did ordere 2 more harnesses which should be here in a few days. One for the Front speaker harness and a new radio harness to clean things up.

Right now, all connections are solid but some of them are pretty crude. After making the new harness, all noise is gone. System sounds great.

All said and done, My time and money for this upgrade was well worth it. I now have a 6 disc changer in the dash, speed sensitive volume, and RDS.

I have the single CD full size stereo in my GT and I'd really like to switch to the 6 cd and get speed sens volume... that is SO useful in a vert. Please post any tips!

Rather the the speed sensitive volume, an ambient sound adjusted volume would be better - my dad's ol' 1984 Nissan 200SX had this and it worked much better. When the windows went down, the volume went up! It had a tiny mic somewhere that monitored the noise level and adjusted the stereo level more more effectively.
It also had a small sensor on the hood that measured vibration of raindrops and adjusted the wipers accordingly. This was 20 years ago!

GTvert01 said:
I've never seen a 99+ with a tape player. :shrug:
Nice install.Looks like mine,white face gauges and all. :nice:
What's up with the red shifter?

My 99 GT Mach 460 has single CD and tape player. I don't think I have ever used he tape player.

007 said:
I have the single CD full size stereo in my GT and I'd really like to switch to the 6 cd and get speed sens volume... that is SO useful in a vert. Please post any tips!

I would think the '01 wiring would be the same for the changer. I got mine on ebay for about $80. Should be just plug-n-play.