Mach 460 Amplifier & Speakers

semtorq

Jul 17, 2015
Hi all. I have a 2000 mustang gt convertible. The rear passenger side speakers are having issues. At low volume, they sound fine. When volume increases, there is a point that both speakers cut out, crackle and hiss. I did remove the top 3.5" speaker and replace it with a brand new one - JUST to see if its both speakers, and it did the identical thing. So i'm guessing that channel on the amp is dead when a certain power level is pushed through it?????? Any thoughts? Thanks for any help!

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

Hello and thanks for the reply. Yes it's 100% stock. I used an aftermarket 5x7. It did exactly the same thing. At very low volumes BOTH woofer and tweeter on the ONE side work fine and are clear but turn it up a bit and they BOTH crackle. As I understand both speaker are powered by two different amps. That being said both amps are acting the same. I assume the signal/channel going to them both is the problem??? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I cant imagine its "worn out" if it is true??? that both the tweeter and woofer are powered by 2 different amps. It almost seems like the signal (wherever it comes from) going to both those amps is not getting sent correctly. Can someone confirm the front amp powers all the tweeters and the rear 2 amps power the woofers? Thanks!

I cant imagine its "worn out" if it is true??? that both the tweeter and woofer are powered by 2 different amps. It almost seems like the signal (wherever it comes from) going to both those amps is not getting sent correctly. Can someone confirm the front amp powers all the tweeters and the rear 2 amps power the woofers? Thanks!
Mach 460 Information <-----this link will help

My amp for the rear subs went bad and would cut in and out. Sounds like your issue.

Thanks for the info but both the tweeter and woofer are identical issue AT THE SAME REAR SIDE. As I believe 2 different amps run these 2 speakers - please tell me if this is not the case. So if 2 amps run them, and BOTH speakers are acting the same, don't you think the problem is somewhere else??

As I believe 2 different amps run these 2 speakers -
I currently own and drive everyday a 2000 GT with the Mach sound system. I can tell you for a fact that the amp is a single unit.

It's the later model year Mach 1000 units that use separate amps for the different speakers.

How do I know? Because when I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket JVC unit I used a conversion harness to reuse the stock amp.

The wiring diagrams for the 2000 model year also show only a single amp for the "Super Sound" option.

For example in the 2003 Model year Mach 1000 system, the wiring diagrams also show the separate amps located in the trunk for the right and left side. OBTW, I also owned a 2003 GT convertible with the Mach 1000 sound system. The separate amps are plainly visible in the trunk.

maybe the 'verts are different, but my 2000GT with a Mach 460 definitely has 2 big amps behind the back seat under the well liner, one on either side of the top pump. <shrug> I re-used the amp(s) with both the aftermarket head units I've had in the car too.

Thanks for the input. I tried to study the schematics of what amp powers what, but I cant figure it out. So maybe some of you think that if I swapped the amps in the rear, that the bad speakers would move to the other side??

Are you are a super tight budget or something, 'cause I get that. But for the amount of work it takes to troubleshoot and repair a 15yo Mach 460 system (which wasn't all that great to begin with) it makes a lot more sense to just replace the stuff with more modern components...

It seems to me that there might be a better way of attacking this.

First. How about posting some pics of your system? This will help nail down WHICH system you have.

There are also those of us (myself for example) that have an old factory unit laying around the garage.

Second. if the sound is OK at low volume but gets crackly at higher volume the usual cause of this is a dirty volume control. This can be fixed by cleaning the internal slider with a products made for the job.

It will be necessary to remove the radio to get good access

I currently own and drive everyday a 2000 GT with the Mach sound system. I can tell you for a fact that the amp is a single unit.

It's the later model year Mach 1000 units that use separate amps for the different speakers.

How do I know? Because when I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket JVC unit I used a conversion harness to reuse the stock amp.

The wiring diagrams for the 2000 model year also show only a single amp for the "Super Sound" option.

For example in the 2003 Model year Mach 1000 system, the wiring diagrams also show the separate amps located in the trunk for the right and left side. OBTW, I also owned a 2003 GT convertible with the Mach 1000 sound system. The separate amps are plainly visible in the trunk.
I have a 2000 Mustang GT that I bought new, Has the Mach 460 system and the rear speakers has separate amps and so do the front