Mach1 Chin spoiler on 97 GT! AWESOME!!!

the pre 99 body styles have a divider in the opening in the bottom portion of the bumper like a pillar that's dead center of the bumper. I used that as a center point to line up the center mounting hole of the lip to start it off straight.

Mine seems very tight and secure. If it starts to get loose, I'll probably go get some washers and nuts and bolts to make it stronger.

• Sponsors (?)

FastRedPonyCar said:
the pre 99 body styles have a divider in the opening in the bottom portion of the bumper like a pillar that's dead center of the bumper. I used that as a center point to line up the center mounting hole of the lip to start it off straight.

Mine seems very tight and secure. If it starts to get loose, I'll probably go get some washers and nuts and bolts to make it stronger.
Sinultros said:
Installed mine tonight. It turned out a bit more difficult than I thought. I've spent more than half the time (over 20 minutes) trying to get just the first drill (center) in. After that, everything else went smoothly. I have to admit, I do feel somewhat uncomfortable using those plastic screws. I'm kinda too afraid to even touch the damn spoiler, fearing it'll fall off. Oh well, I'll just wait and see how it holds.
The purpose behind using the plastic screws is so that if you happen to hit a curb, or something that will make contact with your spoiler, only the spoiler will get ripped off. If you use bolts, metal screws, etc...., there is a possibility that the whole bumper could get ripped off. Not saying that it is going to happen, but just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

I dont agree with you guys on the Mach 1 chin spoiler fitting on the car for the following reasons;

1) I can make it fit a honda if I use enough screws!
The spoiler is so flexible that it is not even a functional piece of equipment.
Look carefully at the picture. The spoiler is warped in places where the screws are. It is not wide enough and by forcing it to fit the contour of the car it begins to bow.

2)It is made of cheap ABS plastic like the plastic piece that is the air deflector installed beneath the stangs to deflect air up into the radiator. Ever look at one and see how tore up it gets? I removed mine cause it looked like #$@!
The Shinoda spoiler is fiberglass and can be repaired if damaged. I believe the CDC is urethane? and can also be repaired, however my experience with urethane is that it will warp and change shape in cold weather.

3) You damage it and you can't fix it, it's junk.
When placed on the car it must fit completely underneath the car and sit recessed under the front bumper cover. In this position the ground clearance height is less than the bigger FUNCTIONAL spoilers by Shinoda and CDC which are mounted further forward and and stick out more with more of an aerodynamic shape to direct the air. The positioning of the Mach 1 spoiler back and beneath the car to make it fit further hinders its ability to reduce the drag on the car. They call these things splitters for a reason, supposed to split the air etc...

If you want something cheap and just for looks then get a mach 1` spoiler, but dont bother if you want something that lasts or functions.

The old adage is you get what you pay for.
My friend has a 98 Gt and went the route of cheap, and ended up going through 2 spoilers before getting a functional, non warping fiberglass spoiler. The ABS bumped a parking block and got bent and would not go back into shape, the urethane warped in the cold weather and went back into shape when it got warm, (NO KIDDING) and so far the fiberglass has banged a curb or two with only minor damage that she herself can fix before the next show.

Well thats my 2 cents worth,
hot4boss (aka mustang chic with attitude)

hot4boss said:
I dont agree with you guys on the Mach 1 chin spoiler fitting on the car for the following reasons;

Look carefully at the picture. The spoiler is warped in places where the screws are. It is not wide enough and by forcing it to fit the contour of the car it begins to bow.

Actually, the bows were from where it was curled up in the packaging box. They're not there anymore. I guess it settled in. Also, there was no force needed to get it to conform to the shape of the bumper. It's a straight fit like I said in a previous post, it was "like a glove" Zero effort required.

hot4boss said:
2)It is made of cheap ABS plastic like the plastic piece that is the air deflector installed beneath the stangs to deflect air up into the radiator. Ever look at one and see how tore up it gets? I removed mine cause it looked like #$@!
The Shinoda spoiler is fiberglass and can be repaired if damaged. I believe the CDC is urethane? and can also be repaired, however my experience with urethane is that it will warp and change shape in cold weather.

True it's not the most expensive thing in the world but that's why it's such a attractive mod. It's cheap and looks good (unlike the shinoda spoiler..along with the rest of their overpriced stuff. That thing is hideous and if I had enough to drink and saw it on a car, would probably kick it off and run it to the nearest dumpster.

hot4boss said:
When placed on the car it must fit completely underneath the car and sit recessed under the front bumper cover. In this position the ground clearance height is less than the bigger FUNCTIONAL spoilers by Shinoda and CDC which are mounted further forward and and stick out more with more of an aerodynamic shape to direct the air. The positioning of the Mach 1 spoiler back and beneath the car to make it fit further hinders its ability to reduce the drag on the car. They call these things splitters for a reason, supposed to split the air etc...

Did you look at all the pictures? The spoiler comes off the lip of the bottom of the bumper flush (exactly like the shinoda, mach 1. CDC). It doesn't go under the bumper except for the very edges and even they are only about a quarter inch under the bumper. Who here drives fast enough to actually take advantage of a functional splitter?? Chances are only the hard core guys and if they are hard core, they probably have a carbon fiber splitter that the Trans Am cars run with. If I want to split air, I give the car more gas.

hot4boss said:
If you want something cheap and just for looks then get a mach 1` spoiler, but dont bother if you want something that lasts or functions.

My friend has a 98 Gt and went the route of cheap, and ended up going through 2 spoilers before getting a functional, non warping fiberglass spoiler. The ABS bumped a parking block and got bent and would not go back into shape, the urethane warped in the cold weather and went back into shape when it got warm

It was 73* last night here and it's 39* right now and it's been straight as an arrow the whole time. I have driven my car enough now to know the dimensions and where I can park safely and how close is close enough. The front of my car is lowered 2.5" anyways and I've learned the new way of driving and parking carefully so I don't think that scraping this thing up will be a problem. If it does get scraped. Big deal. That's only $45 more out of my pocket. I could go through 5 of these before paying for 1 boss splitter for the same cost.

Are you some sort of "team shinoda" sales rep?? That was way too elaborate of a "this mod sucks" post to be just an avg forum user. If you are some random person though, then don't take offense to my post. They're opinions not the gospel.

Oh and Mustang98GTMI, the foglights were a breeze to put in. There's a plate that holds the light fixture in place. See pic. 3 bolts to remove and 1 to loosen that's not pictured. Just slide out old lights and slide in new ones then re-attach screws and you're set.
post-1-1075879367.jpg
:nice:

FastRedPonyCar said:
Are you some sort of "team shinoda" sales rep?? That was way too elaborate of a "this mod sucks" post to be just an avg forum user. If you are some random person though, then don't take offense to my post. They're opinions not the gospel.
Check their sig. 1994 Boss Mustang. :rolleyes:

EDIT:: She changed it. Now it just says 1994 GT. Again.... :rolleyes:

hot4boss said:

My friend has a 98 Gt and went the route of cheap, and ended up going through 2 spoilers before getting a functional, non warping fiberglass spoiler. The ABS bumped a parking block and got bent and would not go back into shape, the urethane warped in the cold weather and went back into shape when it got warm, (NO KIDDING) and so far the fiberglass has banged a curb or two with only minor damage that she herself can fix before the next show.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?? Just wondering, cause you're way off about your assessment of the chin spoiler here. Sorry, I disagree with you........none of this has ever happened to mine.

hot4boss said:

It is cheap - that is precisely the point: it looks good and costs very little. As for the comment about it not being functional, neither is the one you are advocating until you get up around 100 mph. I do tend to agree with you about getting what you pay for, and I have also been known to pay more for higher quality at times, but there aren't many things you can do to a Mustang that are both cheap and look good. That's my 2 cents... :nice:

I have worked with all three spoilers mentioned, hands on, installing them etc. ABS does not warp with temp , just trauma. It's urethane that warps... please reread original post. I just dont like seeing people spending money on junk, especially on mustangs that are shown.

No I am not some sort of sales rep, I judge at shows, and see what people try to make fit. What I have seen does not jive with what you have said. I take off points for workmanship on the Mach 1 spoiler because it really does not fit perfectly, its just too small on the 94-98 cars.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine, just dont ever bring your car to where I am judging with that chin spoiler on. And by the way, thanks for the pics.

Perhaps you have not noticed the other co. spoilers showing up on the cover of magazines? You probably THOUGHT you were looking at a mach spoiler.

I do now have a shinoda front spoiler on my car and can tell you the difference in how the car handles just at 80mph is awesome. My Gt used to lift up in the front in at hi speeds up to 120mph, now it cuts through like butter. I have even noticed that I get about 2mpg more. Mach 1 spoiler is not big enough to do that for my car. Not too mention people are always asking where they can get one.

I dont have time to debate this sort of thing.
I have a life off this forum unlike some people who seem like this is their life.
Gone out to feed my car another camaro.
Bye

I gotta call the BS on a "noticeable" handling difference from a front shinoda spoiler.

It probably provides 5-10 lbs of down pressure at 80mph. Prove otherwise.

Besides which, you can only notice massive changes in downforce, nothing so small as what that spoiler provides, regardless of what it is.

I happen to agree with the majority here. The mach 1 chin spoiler looks very good on the 96-98 body style. IMO, the Shinoda one looks too big and gaudy to me. I will by ordering a Mach 1 chin spoiler for mine as well. If I really don't like the way it looks in person once it's on, then I'll just take it off. No big deal for $50.00. Like they say - everyone has an an opinion.