Maf And Tb Questions

• Sponsors (?)

I just took a close look at the lower intake. It looks like there's a passage only on one side. So for everything to work as intended with the EGR system, it needs to remain open. I'll leave it that way and keep the EGR sys fully functional.

Now, on to MAF decisions

A 70 on a stock intake will do nothing but lighten your wallet. The stock opening is 60 mm I beleive

Just for the record, the dia on the Explorer intake is 68mm. So the 65mm TB is surely a match.

intakedia.jpg

I have the flange adapter on the way to retrofit one of the MAF's that Jrichker suggested. I'm watching some ebay listings for 94-95 GT MAF's. I also see Autozone has reman ones for about $80. Before I move on either of those, I'll check the local bone yard for Ford factory MAF's. A yard around here called Crazy Rays you go around and search for your own stuff. I've always found what I needed at good prices. We'll see tomorrow morning.

I got a used 70mm MAF from a 94 Marquis. F2VF-12B579-A1A. I installed it (but without airbox connected - waiting for adapter to come in mail). Took it for a test drive and it didnt act right. It actually idled better than with the stock MAF and was ok under part throttle. However, under full throttle it fell on its face and even popped a few times back through the intake.

Is there a learning process the computer has to go through or did I just get a bad MAF?

MAF.jpg

You didn't run it open like that did you?
I with you on that one. It's a sure way to introduce problems by picking up warm, turbulent air from inside the engine compartment. That will definitely mess up the airflow through the MAF and cause air/fuel mixture problems. It will go away when you have the stock airbox back in place and all the ductwork connected up properly.

I with you on that one. It's a sure way to introduce problems by picking up warm, turbulent air from inside the engine compartment. That will definitely mess up the airflow through the MAF and cause air/fuel mixture problems. It will go away when you have the stock airbox back in place and all the ductwork connected up properly.

I did. And I wondered if the airbox not being on there had an effect so I put the stock MAF back on (also without the airbox) and it worked normal even at full throttle.

But I will heed your advice and wait for the adapter and try the Marquis MAF again with everything correctly installed. I'll report back with results.

The factory MAF is a different design so maybe it doesnt suffer and open duct like the Marquis one does. Any thoughts on that?

To port the intake, I used a marker on the opening surface, used the 70mm gasket as the pattern, and marked the circle from the bolted gasket. I took off the gasket and two tools. 1. A mini air grinder with a carbide tip and 2. A sanding flap wheel from the woodworking section. The sanding paddle wheel would have been enough on a narrow drill to open the opening and actually go down the throat to get the bolt posts. I used a long pair of calipers to make sure I did not get too thin on the upper intake bolts. More to follow.

To port the intake, I used a maother thanpening surface, used the 70mm gasket as the pattern, and marked the circle from the bolted gasket. I took off the gasket and two tools. 1. A mini air grinder with a carbide tip and 2. A sanding flap wheel from the woodworking section. The sanding paddle wheel would have been enough on a narrow drill to open the opening and actually go down the throat to get the bolt posts. I used a long pair of calipers to make sure I did not get too thin on the upper intake bolts. More to follow.
Anyway, the sanding paddle left a nice finish and removes material well. With my other already mods and the new bigger MAF, tb egr it ripped up the tires easier at low rpm and felt like it opened up the top end. SOTP feel was really worth it.

70mm '94 Marquis MAF in place installed straight up with adapter and all tubing. Its working well. I trimmed a small amount of tubing lip where it hooks to the factory air box to extend the tubing and eliminate a small kink caused by the slightly longer assembly.

I notice the engine no longer falls flat at 4500rpm like it did before. It pulls well slightly beyond 5k now. I'm told the skinny snout for the factory airbox on the inner fender is another restriction so I suppose I'll either modify or remove that part (keep the factory box though). I have a K&N element in the factory box.

The Marquis MAF cost me $25 at a local pick and pull yard.

maf2.jpg

ring.jpg

70mm '94 Marquis MAF in place installed straight up with adapter and all tubing. Its working well. I trimmed a small amount of tubing lip where it hooks to the factory air box to extend the tubing and oeliminate a small kink caused by the slightly longer assembly.

I notice the engine no longer falls flat at 4500rpm like it did before. It pulls well slightly beyond 5k now. I'm told the skinny snout for the factory airbox on the inner fender is another restriction so I suppose I'll either modify or remove that part (keep the factory box though). I have a K&N element in the factory box.

The Marquis MAF cost me $25 at a local pick and pull yard.

maf2.jpg

ring.jpg
Opening up the top end for little cash is the plan. High five!