Maf And Tb Questions

• Sponsors (?)

Would running a open filter at the end of the MAF have the same effect? Over the stock airbox? I'm running this filter, but I still have the stock airbox. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2502

Also do you think that alters the MAF signal?

I was told by a maf manufacture that adding a open filter to a meter that wasn't calibrated with a open filter will lean it out about 1 full injector size...so a 24# to a 19#...etc

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I'll put the stock one back in.

yep, those cone filters you stick on the end of a MAF are prone to fan wash and also lean out the engine. Either put the stock box back on or do a fenderwell CAI. The stock is actually a fenderwell CAI but places the filter in the engine vs. the fenderwell. For fenderwell CAI's, you may need a different MAF or clock yours to compensate for the CAI.

My car has always been lean. I did the heads, larger tube diameter shorty headers, and went from a performer rpm to a trackheat, and it got a lot worse... I bought the car with K&N filter on it, but luckily the guy saved the stock box.

Before the heads and intake, running only 2 cats, I barely passed the NOx on emissions. Seriously it was like 5 or 10 points from failing. Revving the car at 3K for five minutes sitting outside the smog place.

I haven't had the car checked again since I've done the work.

Last edited:
The Explorer manifold had a nice 65 MM TB as stock equipment. It's worth your time to get one to match the Explorer intake manifold you said is on the way.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/components.html Buy the TR70 for $40. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

I have a 70mm MAF from a 94 Marquis on my 5.0. This one > 1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,

It's working well with my stock 19lb injectors. I might be making additional mods that would justify stepping up to 24lb injectors. I thought I was told or read somewhere that this Ford factory MAF will also work with 24lb injectors. Is this correct? Will it work properly with 24lb injectors?

jrichker? I thought you told me. Can you confirm.

With a custom dyno tune and a chip you can use the 70 MM Ford MAF from a 94-95 Mustang or one from the list I posted. At that point, you might want to consider a PRO-M MAF or similar aftermarket MAF's . Stay away from C&L MAFs, because it's a hit or miss proposition: they work OK for some setups and work poorly for others.

The 93 Cobra computer, labeled X3Z which is internally calibrated for 24 lb. injectors. Use the 70 MM MAF & MAF sensor from the X3Z computer to avoid problems with the computer's internal calibration.

With a custom dyno tune and a chip you can use the 70 MM Ford MAF from a 94-95 Mustang or one from the list I posted. At that point, you might want to consider a PRO-M MAF or similar aftermarket MAF's . Stay away from C&L MAFs, because it's a hit or miss proposition: they work OK for some setups and work poorly for others.

The 93 Cobra computer, labeled X3Z which is internally calibrated for 24 lb. injectors. Use the 70 MM MAF & MAF sensor from the X3Z computer to avoid problems with the computer's internal calibration.

j, when i decide to step up the mods on my current ride with larger injectors and alum heads, Im going to give a LMAF a try with a tune. From what I've read, it's one of the better MAFs out there- Ford Factory, stable signal, and they are fairly cheap. Curious to see if you've ever uses one.

j, when i decide to step up the mods on my current ride with larger injectors and alum heads, Im going to give a LMAF a try with a tune. From what I've read, it's one of the better MAFs out there- Ford Factory, stable signal, and they are fairly cheap. Curious to see if you've ever uses one.
No, I am still running the 94-95 Mustang 70 MM MAF. With the few mods that I currently have, it sees to be OK.