maf question!

thestallionx

Dec 7, 2007
as of now my 94 is stock. i want to add either 24lb injectors or 30lb. what do i have to do to the maf or computer to make these work. can i use the fox maf sensor? i heard the calibration for the 94 is in the computer.is that true?

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, the calibration is in the sensor itself. The computer that does hold the calibration is the cobra since it uses the same MAF but 24lb. injectors.

In order to make either of those inj. work, you will need to get a MAF which is calibrated to those injectors. A fox maf won't do anything, and is smaller than a SN MAF.

Wrong 95vert.

The maf is not calibrated for an specific inj. that cal. thing is a 100% aftermarket thing.

The maf data is in a seperate part of the tune from the inj. data. The maf data...called a maf transfer is the relation of incoming air volume/mass in 0-5volts.

The inj. data is dealt with in the injector slope/offset/breakpoint/duty cycle/pulsewidth.

The computer uses these seperate sets if data to calculate how much fuel to inject.

The maf for the cobra is the same as the GT. The injector info in the eec is different for the larger inj. The maf is not calibrated for ANY injector whatso ever.

Nope, the calibration is in the sensor itself. The computer that does hold the calibration is the cobra since it uses the same MAF but 24lb. injectors.

In order to make either of those inj. work, you will need to get a MAF which is calibrated to those injectors. A fox maf won't do anything, and is smaller than a SN MAF.

Did I not say that the maf's were the same? Don't you have to buy a new MAF to get larger injectors to work with same computer? I guess I should've been clearer with the first statement. What I meant in that first sentence was intended for aftermarket MAF's.

and you will not absolutely need a aftermarket meter like stated before to make either of those bigger injectors to work, you can get a tune to set the computer for the bigger injector...but u might peg out the stock meter......

as of now my 94 is stock. i want to add either 24lb injectors or 30lb. what do i have to do to the maf or computer to make these work. can i use the fox maf sensor? i heard the calibration for the 94 is in the computer.is that true?

What do you have in mind that will need larger injectors or more flow? Might be an unnecessary expense and hassle at this stage in the game for ya.

Wes

Why would you want bigger inj. the 19s will be enough for quite a while....:nice:

Not busting your balls but your money would be spent better elsewhere:nice:

thats y i said as of now. i have a 306 with afr 185's and a stage 1 tf cam. i ask the question because i have the fox parts( so i dont need to buy new stuff) and wondering if i can just bolt those on or will it not work.

You could just get the larger injectors and get the MAF calibrated for the new injectors. That way to don't have to buy a new MAF, as the stock is already 70mm.

If you don't want to go that route, you could find and injector/MAF package and go that route, or just by a seperate MAF for the injectors.

Off the subject, how do you the 306. I am thinking about doing one.

Nope, the calibration is in the sensor itself. .

This is the part I was in diss-agreement with. There is no calibration in the sensor regarding anything to do with the inj.

It was more of an un-clear statement that could very easly be read to confuse the orig. poster to think the mafs were calibrated for a specific inj.

I re-read my post...posting "wrong 95vert" was a bit harsh and that was not my intention. My appology if I came off like an arse. I only intended to make things more clear.

Either way the stocker is more than good enough until you setup of the 185's. The meter will handle the power level you have now...I would hold off on installing the inj. and larger maf until those heads are on the car.

You could just get the larger injectors and get the MAF calibrated for the new injectors. That way to don't have to buy a new MAF, as the stock is already 70mm.

If you don't want to go that route, you could find and injector/MAF package and go that route, or just by a seperate MAF for the injectors.

Off the subject, how do you the 306. I am thinking about doing one.

If I read correctly he is running the stock maf...you do not re-calibrate them for an injector. He will need to change the injector settings in the eec and run the stock maf with its factory maftransfer.

The problem with just getting a tune and running the stock maf is that when he adds the heads that flow a good bit more than the stock heads he will more than likely peg the stock meter. The meter will work fine with either 24's or 30's as long as the changes to the eec inj. areas are made.

When he steps up the 185's, he will need a maf with more air flow.

My suggestion would be get an 90mm LMAF and the 30's and get it tuned or buy a tuner. That way he can have the correct maftransfer entered in for that meter and the correct inj. data entered into the eec. The poster will end up with the best drivability and power without pegging the meter.

Until he steps up to the 185's, I would just leave it alone.

bblksn955 is correct.

The aftermarket method of calling a MAF “calibrated” for a certain flow rate injector is a hack fix at best. All they do is shift the MAF’s air flow measurement signal down based on the flow rate of the new injectors, relative to your stock ECU MAF transfer function. In this case, the MAF reads less air flow so the ECU sends a lower pulse width to the injectors and fuel delivery at the higher flow rate comes out at the correct amount (sort of). This only addresses the fuel delivery shift. The problem is that the air flow measured by the MAF is also used to calculate the engine’s load, which indexes your spark maps and other functionality. By shifting it low, your load signal becomes invalid. The ECU will index the spark maps at point lower than the actual load (which is higher than the MAF measured load). This can partially be resolved by turning the distributor back. However, idle and driveability issues will probably result. The effect gets worse the farther you get away from the stock injectors. This whole method is a poor compromise.

The best practice is to recalibrate the ECU itself for the new components, either with a chip or a tuning device. A tuner shop will do this, or you can buy something like a tweecer and do it yourself.

Also, as bbklsn955 said, adding the 24lb injectors on a near stock motor will not give any performance benefit. It might actually cause problems since the stock motor will only operate at the low end of the injectors flow range.----- Don’t forget the basic rule of how to make power with a gasoline engine: “More AIR FLOW.” Torque and power are proportional to air flow. (Spark efficency is a separate topic.) More power can only be obtained through increasing air flow through the engine: better induction, heads, cam, and exhaust. Fueling is just long for the ride. As long as you can hit the correct air fuel ratio at all speeds/loads, you won’t get any additional power from increasing the injector flow rates.

I hope this helps.