MAF

• Sponsors (?)

You dont have to convert. In my 87 I had tfs heads and intake in a stroker with a bunch of other goodies and left it SD. On the other hand I did have to purchase a custom ground cam for my setup that cost almost twice what a off the shelf cam would have. When I pulled the drivetrain to put in my 88 I changed to a tfs cam and went mass air. I definitely lost some power in the switch.

For a 1988 lx do I need a MAF if I have a cold air kit and a new intake? Plan on new heads headers and cam also.....

The cam is key that will determine whether you need to switch or not. You will need an SD friendly cam if you don't want to convert.

You dont have to convert. In my 87 I had tfs heads and intake in a stroker with a bunch of other goodies and left it SD. On the other hand I did have to purchase a custom ground cam for my setup that cost almost twice what a off the shelf cam would have. When I pulled the drivetrain to put in my 88 I changed to a tfs cam and went mass air. I definitely lost some power in the switch.

That could be the result of a number of things. You don't just loose power because of the swap unless you're using undersized pieces (like the FMS conversion kit).

I'm not saying considerable power but definitely can feel it in the seat of the pants. I also went from a cam with a lot of lift and near stock duration to less lift but more duration and went up in fuel injector size.