Magnaflow catback vs. Magnaflow Magnapack catback

Tony W

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2001
Carrollton, TX
What are the differences? I know the magnapacks have the tube shaped mufflers and the regular magnaflow system has the normal muffler design. So what are the main differences in sound, performance, etc....??? I have looked at MustangExhaust.com already and it didn't really help. Anybody have any vids or sound clips I can listen to? :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

1990StangLX said:
...i dont think there are magnapack catback for IRS cobras...

Correct.

Magnaflow (the company) does not produce a "Magnapack catback" for IRS cobras. One can order the regular "magnaflow (muffler) IRS catback," additionally order two magnapack mufflers, then swap the different mufflers with one another (costs extra $$$ - sell the unused regular magnaflow mufflers to recoup some of the extra money you spend). Or, just purchase two magnapack mufflers and weld them into your existing factory catback if you are on a budget.

magnapacks are ALOT louder than magnaflows. to get the sound of magnapacks when using magnaflow mufflers, an off road h or x pipe is definitely needed. however, i think when an h or x is used with magnapacks, it is FAR too loud. my friend put an off road x pipe and magnapacks on his 03 GT and you couldnt talk to the person in the car with you at a normal voice, and this is shifting at ~2000 rpm...it just gets louder above that. personally, i think all magnaflow products are too burbly, almost sound like the car is under water...except at WOT. im thinking about swapping my magnapacks for an SLP loud mouth cat back. the SLP gives such a great muscle car type sound, IMO....

piece together a cat-back for your IRS cobra, buy flowtubes, mufflers and tailpipes all seperately...its the easiest and cheapest way to go in that arena

QUICK91LX said:
magnapacks are ALOT louder than magnaflows. to get the sound of magnapacks when using magnaflow mufflers, an off road h or x pipe is definitely needed. however, i think when an h or x is used with magnapacks, it is FAR too loud. my friend put an off road x pipe and magnapacks on his 03 GT and you couldnt talk to the person in the car with you at a normal voice, and this is shifting at ~2000 rpm...it just gets louder above that. personally, i think all magnaflow products are too burbly, almost sound like the car is under water...except at WOT. im thinking about swapping my magnapacks for an SLP loud mouth cat back. the SLP gives such a great muscle car type sound, IMO....

i've heard the SLP loudmouth on their website and its sounds FAR more raspy than the packs do. my friend put packs on his 98 snake and paired it with a bassani o/r X pipe and it is loud, but muscular, sounds loppy like a cammed 5.0 liter. my vote is definetly for the packs, another friend who put regular maggies on his 95 GT with a bassani o/r X, and it sounds almost like a stock cat back.