Magnaflow clearance problems!

hexum311

Apr 26, 2004
FL
I installed a set of magnaflow catbacks this weekend and have a question for all the fellow magnaflow people out there. I seems to have a clearance problem on the passenger side where the pipe goes over the axle. When I go over a bump I can hear the arm( or something) coming down and hitting the pipe. The problem is I can not move the pipe over any at all because it is already as far as it will go. Has anyone else had this problem or any clearance issues with the magnaflows?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a clearance problem with mine too. My clearance issue was on the passenger side extension pipe from the H-Pipe to the muffler. When I hit a sizable bump the driveshaft would hit the pipe and go "clunk". I thought it was the axle or control arm hitting the pipe, but I found no marks on those parts or the pipes near them. But I did find scrape marks on the driveshaft.

To solve the problem, I rotated the pipe to gain driveshaft clearence.

It took me a while to get mine lined up right during install. I kept messing around with individual parts. What you need to do is loosen all of the joints and find the best overall fit.

Really helps to have it on a lift too!

That intermediate pipe may be wrong. Try twisting it around to the opposite side. Best way to fix it is to loosen all the clamps up and do it again or take it to a muffler shop. It took me a while to get mine just right. Take your time though.

Had the same problem with mine :) If you're doing a "driveway" install like I did, you'll find it to be a real pain the ass trying to get it all rotated properly. I took mine to Mieneke to have them get it lined up right because my back was killing me on the ground. For $30 they loosened everything and rotated it perfectly. The guy at Mieneke said " Its all about rotation "

:flag:

When i went to install my catback i asked around and found a mechanic that would do it for $50 so i jumped at the chance because i could only imagine the pain it would have been to do it myself without a lift. He was cocky but i havent had any problems from it at all, when i left he said i wont be seeing you again cause im the best. HAHA.

B

mine was hitting my swaybar as well. Drove me nuts for weeks before I found it. I thought it was the axle because every time I hit a bump it would clunk. Then I saw the marks on the swaybar and exhaust pipes. Check the swaybar.