Magnaflow, JBA, MAC???

pony_grl

Sep 27, 2005
Sewell, NJ
I know there are a lot of exhaust threads but I'm planning on installing duals and after reading so many threads about exhausts I'm really more undecided than ever. For those who've already done it, I'd like to know why you chose the brand you did and if you went with a true dual H pipe or a y pipe? Either way, does changing the exhaust increase the HP any?
Also, did you purchase from the installer or online?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a single Magnaflow axle-back. I got the Magnaflow because it's stainless steel(some of the others aren't) and because of the sound clips I've heard. I got it online and installed it myself. Very happy with the Magnaflow.

From what i've heard, you won't gain much if any hp going to duals. It's mostly done for looks/sound. You can gain about 10hp swapping out the stock muffler though. The BEST sounding exhaust i've heard is Rygen's. He has(or had) a Magnaflow X-pipe, a GT driver's side over axle pipe and Flowmaster American Thunder GT mufflers. If i was to do anything to my exhaust, I would get Rygen's setup. Except i would try an H-pipe for an even deeper sound.

ADW

I went to a custom exhaust shop and had a Y with duels added with magna flow mufflers. sounds sweet, added some HP but not sure how much. I am very satisfied with the results.

I agree with Jimp about their not being much HP to be gained by going with duals. The rare exception being a turbo or supercharged application. If you want to add an exhaust component that you'll see some decent HP gains from, you should consider JBAs shorty-headers.

There was a good article called "six-toys" that showed about a 20 hp increase with the headers and a JBA single.

I personally have a single Flowmaster AT axleback and really enjoy the sound. But, if I had it over to do again I would probably get a single from HKS. I saw a custom job (they don't make a direct replacement) at a local speed shop on a Ford Ranger with a 4.0L. It sounded awesome -- kinda like Speed Racer's Mach 5 - or anyway it sounded cool.

I installed the magnaflow duals back in january and love the sound, but in march I developed a vibration that only occurs when I'm going up a hill. A tooth cracking vibe.
The magnaflows do not have much clearance in some places especially at the left side hanger. Believe me I run her up and adjusted it "every which way but loose."
I am considering a modification to the system to fix the problem but for now I have taken them off.
:)

proeditor said:
There was a good article called "six-toys" that showed about a 20 hp increase with the headers and a JBA single.

The article showed a 17 hp gain.

I'm diggin' my jba headers and duals...

http://www.transcendingtouch.com/mustang/mustang1.mp4

Magnaflows sound great too.

Personally, I stay away from MAC's... they have sleepy customer service, don't seem enthused about their products... and they're exhaust sounds ricey at WOT.... just my opinion...

pony_grl said:
I know there are a lot of exhaust threads but I'm planning on installing duals and after reading so many threads about exhausts I'm really more undecided than ever. For those who've already done it, I'd like to know why you chose the brand you did and if you went with a true dual H pipe or a y pipe? Either way, does changing the exhaust increase the HP any?
Also, did you purchase from the installer or online?

I had JBAs with MAC Long Tube headers and a Prochamber and I loved the way it sounded. I also had a single JBA before I went dual and loved it. With the Turbo, the JBAs are awesome!! It really depends on the sound you are going for. I think Hamid has one of the best sounding 6s out there.

Excepcion13 said:
I had JBAs with MAC Long Tube headers and a Prochamber and I loved the way it sounded. I also had a single JBA before I went dual and loved it. With the Turbo, the JBAs are awesome!! It really depends on the sound you are going for. I think Hamid has one of the best sounding 6s out there.

Thanks! High compliments from the man with one of the most amazing 4.0L's on the planet! You must be grinning ear to ear every time you step on the gas!

I'm truly looking foward to hearing (and seeing!) clips of your turbo in action! When are you getting to the track?!

hamidlmt said:
Thanks! High compliments from the man with one of the most amazing 4.0L's on the planet! You must be grinning ear to ear every time you step on the gas!

I'm truly looking foward to hearing (and seeing!) clips of your turbo in action! When are you getting to the track?!

Next Wednesday I am going to try to get out to the 1/8 mile and the Sunday after that the 1/4 mile. I am looking for anything in the 13's for Sunday. I haven't learned to really launch yet, so that may be a stretch, but it is what I am shooting for. I have to make sure my rev limiter is set, though, as this thing screams through the gears...

Excepcion13 said:
Next Wednesday I am going to try to get out to the 1/8 mile and the Sunday after that the 1/4 mile. I am looking for anything in the 13's for Sunday. I haven't learned to really launch yet, so that may be a stretch, but it is what I am shooting for. I have to make sure my rev limiter is set, though, as this thing screams through the gears...

You've got some good suspensions mods that should help with your launch quite a bit. Maybe practice a few hard launches on some back road?

Anways.... I have no doubt you'll be in the 13's.. and in the 12's once you master your launch!