Magnaflow releases full stainless steel exhaust systems for 65-70 Mustangs

• Sponsors (?)

I spend a lot of time at the dragstrip and occasionally some local circle tracks. Usually, I spend a good amount of time looking at the cars, especially the winning ones, to see what parts they are using. I see 3 brands of exhaust for the most part-Flowmaster, Dynomax, and Borla. Ooccasionally I'll see a Hooker aero-chamber, or some Dynatech collector muffs. Alot of diehard racers like to stick with what they know works, but just as many are willing to try new stuff and see if it works better. How come none of these guys are using Magnaflow? Seriously, I'm looking for an honest unbiased answer.

Ill give you several reasons-

contingency money-

Flowmaster, Borla, Dynomax pay contingency money, so if a racer is using their exhaust and wins- they get paid an amount anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars-

We get a ton of racers calling us and asking us if we do contingency, and at this point we are very select with it-

Now lets look at one of the only competitions where we do pay contingency money-

The Hot Rodding Magazine Engine Masters Challenge-

This year, the 1st, 2nd, and 4th place winners said they made more power with Magnaflow mufflers-

Last year the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners said they made the most power with Magnaflow-

Now lets look at another popular race series-

Monster Trucks-

At some stadiums Monster Trucks are required to run mufflers now, and Grave Digger who seems to do pretty well has chosen Magnaflow as well-

There are also several NASCAR teams using some of our product now as well- of course none of them I can name- because we have to give them alot of money before we can use their name for advertising purposes-

Hopefully that gives you the answer you are looking for- we get alot of racers that are intersted in using our product- until they find out we dont always pay them- or if we do- its not as much- because we have decided to concentrate advertising dollars more in other areas-

Cant say that I blame them- racing is a business too-

Hopefully this is the answer you were looking for- if this was not really the answer you were looking for- let me know- I may have gotten your point incorrectly-

Thanks for the great question though-

Is there a particular reason they don't offer more contingency money? I think it would really help sales. With the exception of an occasional late model, I don't ever hear of or see anybody using them.

I'm not at the track right now :shrug:

I can believe the contingency issue is the reason why more racers don't use them. I'm sure performance and quality is just as good as any other muffler, and some people probably like the way they sound. But if they get paid to use somebody else's muffler, its a pretty easy decision to make.

302 coupe said:
Is there a particular reason they don't offer more contingency money? I think it would really help sales. With the exception of an occasional late model, I don't ever hear of or see anybody using them.

I dont have an honest answer for you on this one- because I dont really know-

I do agree with you BTW- I think it would increase sales even more-

But I know sales have been growing really well over the last 6 years- double digit growth every year in fact- and last month was a record setting month-

So my only guess is- (this is my theory- not that of Magnaflow)

if sales are growing this fast with out doing it- then why spend the extra money until sales growth starts to slow-

I guess we could do it to try and grow faster- but I think we dont want to over extend ourselves- growing a company too quickly can end badly-

these are my own theories however-

I am just a sales manager- they let me know what I need to know and thats fine with me- sometimes its better not to know

But from a company stand point- I have no official answer for you-

I can tell you though- at the rate we are growing- I am definitely not complaining- who ever is making these decissions- must be doing something right-

Thanks for the great line of questioning- let me know if you have any other questions-