Magnapacks + O/r H-pipe

DIYdudeguy

Nov 15, 2014
Earth
Hey guys, I've searched around and I know this type of question is asked a lot, but there are some specific bits that I'd like to hear people's opinions on. So as of right now, I currently have an o/r h with LM2s and they sound good, but the exhaust doesn't sound as full or free flowing as other Mustangs I've heard, if that makes any sense and at idle it's a little quiet for my tastes. Question is, will magnapacks sound good with an o/r h compared to the LM2s? And will it be too loud for a DD in Cali? Also, sometimes the exhaust will backfire and sounds like a gunshot when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, do packs do the same thing?

I've been thinking about swapping in packs in place of my LM2 muflers for a while because my neighbor has a termi with an o/r x and packs and it just sounds godly *¬*. I know there's no way it'll sound exactly like it, but will it sound somewhat similar despite the difference in valvetrain and midpipe?

Also, sometimes my current exhaust will backfire and sounds like a gunshot when casually driving and shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, do packs do the same thing? It's cool and all when it backfires, but I would think that a loud exhaust wouldn't attract unwanted attention as much as an exhaust that sounds like a 12 gauge between shifts.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Pipe sizing I believe is the answer here. 2 1/2" pipe all the way back will give a better flow. Many guys run a 3" exhaust, however this is unnessesary unless you are running higher compression or boost.

A good set of resonating exhaust tips will eliminate the back firing and popping, but will also quiet everything down a bit.

Yea, 3" is a bit much, especially since I'm planning on staying NA for a long while until I can afford a KB. Right now I've got 2.5" all the way back, so it should be flowing pretty well, but it just sounds a bit nasaly, I guess would be the best way to describe it maybe.

I've never thought about that, could the SLP tips be causing the backfire? Do double wall vs single wall tips make any difference?

Last edited:
I had an o/r h with lt's and packs... I hated it immensely. Way too much rasp and little to no tone. I'm talking rapid fire gun shots from 1600 to 2300ish rpm

Catted bbk x sounds awesome with packs but quiets it down a lil too much imho (current set up I'm running)

Gp performance o/r x sounds good with packs but still has some rasp at certain rpms (swapped out to weld an O2 sensor bung and haven't swapped it back yet)

Also, fwiw I have always heard that lm2's and packs were similar in sound

I had an o/r h with lt's and packs... I hated it immensely. Way too much rasp and little to no tone. I'm talking rapid fire gun shots from 1600 to 2300ish rpm

Catted bbk x sounds awesome with packs but quiets it down a lil too much imho (current set up I'm running)

Gp performance o/r x sounds good with packs but still has some rasp at certain rpms (swapped out to weld an O2 sensor bung and haven't swapped it back yet)

Also, fwiw I have always heard that lm2's and packs were similar in sound

Well, I got smart and sold my LM2 mufflers and bought me a brand new set of packs to swap in (install was an absolute b**ch) and I actually like it. Maybe they don't sound too great with LTs and an o/r h, but with stock shorties and an o/r h they sound pretty dang good.

Yea, I think if I ever change my midpipe setup I'll go for an o/r x, but I'm pretty happy with the h-pipe, not too loud and it's nice and deep.

Loudness at idle and cruising is probably the only similarity between the two, though I think the packs are a tad louder. As for tone, the packs are much much better than the LM2s, they've got more of a deep growl to it and a lot more character while the LMs seem nasaly and flat. Haven't gotten on it yet, but just from cruising and a few revs it also seems like it's less blatty and keeps that mean and nasty roar through the rpms. Well worth the 120 or so I spent on 'em.
Plus packs and SLP tips are a pretty sweet combo :banana: