Magnapacks should could with excedrin

blkgt714

May 3, 2003
LA/Orange County
Magnapacks should come with excedrin

Magnapacks on my Mach I.... Impressions after 3 days.. Around town off the highway they are great. I can control the volume with the pedal to an extent. Although they are still loud and I kind of feel weird about making all that noise when I'm only going 30 mph and barely accelerating. Nice deep tone..

Now on to the bad.. When letting off the gas it sounds like a bag of popcorn is popping under the car. Not loud popping, but very noticable.. People on other boards said there might be a leak in my system or I'm running too rich? But I guess I can deal with it, although it does make it sound like ass at times.

My biggest complaint is highway driving. There is so much bass/drone at around 2100-2400k rpms. It's so extremely loud on the highway that its gets annoying. After a 200 mile drive to San Diego and back I needed to down a bunch of tylenol, my ears were ringing. I usually drive between 75-80 mph.. But I'll be driving 60 or less if I don't get used to all that volume. If worst comes to worst, I'll probably end up buying some center inlet/outlet magnaflows and get them welded in.

So anyone considering the packs, just be prepared.. Because they are as loud as everyone says. I just wasn't aware of how loud they'd be on the highway.

• Sponsors (?)

blkgt714 said:
Magnapacks on my Mach I.... Impressions after 3 days.. Around town off the highway they are great. I can control the volume with the pedal to an extent. Although they are still loud and I kind of feel weird about making all that noise when I'm only going 30 mph and barely accelerating. Nice deep tone..

Now on to the bad.. When letting off the gas it sounds like a bag of popcorn is popping under the car. Not loud popping, but very noticable.. People on other boards said there might be a leak in my system or I'm running too rich? But I guess I can deal with it, although it does make it sound like ass at times.

My biggest complaint is highway driving. There is so much bass/drone at around 2100-2400k rpms. It's so extremely loud on the highway that its gets annoying. After a 200 mile drive to San Diego and back I needed to down a bunch of tylenol, my ears were ringing. I usually drive between 75-80 mph.. But I'll be driving 60 or less if I don't get used to all that volume. If worst comes to worst, I'll probably end up buying some center inlet/outlet magnaflows and get them welded in.

So anyone considering the packs, just be prepared.. Because they are as loud as everyone says. I just wasn't aware of how loud they'd be on the highway.

Get gears and your cruise rpms will be above the "DRONE" range...4.30s are perfect...Trust me on this one!

I have Packs and catted X pipe, I drove 800 miles round trip for Thanksgiving and 500 miles to go from MA to MD last week. It's loud and drony, but music took care of that. :shrug:

90 MPH in 5th gear around 3k RPMs is ridiculously loud/shakes car, but doesn't bother me much. :shrug:

I have a lot of popping too, I think I'm running rich. I love that sound though :p

From what I know, a little bit of the popping/crackling is normal - at least for the Magnapacks. Maybe we need to get the Magnaflow rep in here :shrug:

My 'packs are just starting to get loud enough with the addition of the catted x-pipe though. To each his or her own, I guess :D

1990StangLX said:
hmmmm.....maybe i'll get magnaflows instead of magnapacks...

I had weld in Magnaflows on my GT.. Was perfect on the highway.. Little tame on the road. But did sound nice at WOT.. I'm probably going to be ebaying my packs and swapping in some magnaflows though.. This is a daily driven car and the commutes are killing me.

blkgt714 said:
I had weld in Magnaflows on my GT.. Was perfect on the highway.. Little tame on the road. But did sound nice at WOT.. I'm probably going to be ebaying my packs and swapping in some magnaflows though.. This is a daily driven car and the commutes are killing me.

thats the problem i am facing...i want something that sounds really mean on the street but that is not much louder than stock at freeway speeds..and from what i hear, that isn't too likely. as it is, i am planning on the magnaflow cat-back system at this point..but since i am going to supercharge the car we'll see what eventually happens.

I had the same problem before. I hated the sound when your driving at a steady speed on the highway. :bang: I stopped driving it on the highway and I would use my parents Camry on the high way.

But I just had my midpipe switched to the Mac Prochamber And I swear to you, It is actually a lot quieter at steady highway speeds around 60-70 mph. I can hardly even tell it was a preformence exhaust. But keep in mind when you step on it, it is a heck of a lot louder than just the magnapacks. This is exactly the way it should be and now I can drive my drive my car on the highway again with the annoying drone sound. :banana:

Drone was one of the major reasons I went with the FRPP catback. Hoping to get some sound clips over the next few days. I just installed it less than a week ago and am liking it more and more each day.

I don't seem to get any drone at all :shrug: just the deep bass tone getting louder.. when I let go of the pedal, there weren't any pop corn popping.. just some air shooting sound that is barely noticable (puh puh puh...) peharps it's the LT and the cats? Anyhow, I finally gunned my car today for the first time since I installed the LT. All I can say is holy chit! It sounded like the car got a blower in it! If I put some stickers on the car.. people might think that it's a NASCAR.. and some ahem.. most of you will think that it's a RICECAR :lol:

I have the magnaflow catback, not the magnapack. It has a nice tone too it, but not too loud. It drones a little on the highway, but not very bad at all. I usually have the radio on a little bit, and I don't even hear it then. Hope this helps, maybe you can get that system instead and be happier :D

scsilvergt said:
Where is the best place just to buy the magnapack mufflers, I already have a the magnaflow catback and it is too quiet!

Thanks,
Lance

I bought my magnaflow catback from www.fulllineexhaust.com for $300, I believe the magnapack system was the same price. You'll find a listing of their locations, call the Atlanta one and give them the magnaflow model #, they will tell you the price, and how much to ship it, and you can order it over the phone. Hope this helps :nice: