MagnaPak or SLP Loudmouth?

The magnapacks are known to come loose(so I've heard).

I think you can't go wrong with either of them as they sound very similar, with the SLP being a little louder. But I would look into the SLP seeing as that it's going to be cheaper than the "advertised" price (or whatever the hell it is) of the magnapacks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would really like to hear a clip of a 4.6 with the SLP catback, because a buddy of mine just got the SLP installed on his `95 5.0 and I didn't care for the sound at all. Not much personality to it; it actually sounded like a V8 Chevy truck and I told him that. He switched from MAC Flowpath mufflers which I thought sounded much better. I was interested in the SLP because of its price and stainless steel, but after hearing his I really don't think I would get one now. He is running shorties with an offroad H and I have longtubes with a ProChamber but I can't imagine it sounding much different or better on my car.

But, I imagine it sounds fairly different on a 4.6 so I'd be willing to give the SLP another audition if I ever had the chance.

Stainless Stell

Ron Jeremy said:
You just said that the tips come loose. On which ones do they come loose on? Do they come loose on the MagnaPacks or on the SLP?

Also, what do the numbers 304 SS and 300 SS mean that you used in your post for the catbacks? Please explain clearly. Thanks.

He is refering to the grade of Stainless Steel that each one uses. 304 being better than 300. And through NinoSport the MagnaPaks are 364 with free shipping but I have not heard anything about this company before. :rolleyes:

For the people who disagree, have you cut open an SLP muffler before?

We have......

There are TWO ways to quiet a car...

Sound cancellation technology (baffles)

Sound Antinuation Technology (absorbtion)

SLP uses a straight through design muffler, which means they use an absorption technology......

YOU NEED SOMETHING TO ABSORB the sound.

The SLP uses an angel hair fiberglass, which is very thin which is why when you tap it, it sounds hollow.....

Resonators use fiberglass packing, SLP calls them resonators themselves.

The Magnaflow uses hand packed Italian ROck Wool which has a lot higher density....
which is why it sounds different when you tap on it....

SLP- LOUDER
Magnapack- Quieter- but deeper....

Im trying to be honest with the fact that if you want the loudest exhaust on the market, get the SLP, so Im not sure how you could call that BIASED as I have all ready stated that several times.....

As far as grades of stainless are concerned, we have an exclusive grade that we designed that we feel is better then 304.

Honestly though the difference going from a 304 to what we use to what Bassani uses are all so small, its pretty silly to let it effect your decision for purchase....

We could change from our grade to 304 and the price difference in a Mustang catback would be about 15 cents. We have our advantages with our stainless, and they have there advantages....

Each advantage is so small though, that it would take probably about a thousand years for it to make a difference either way....lol

For those doubting, we made a pair of Magnapacks once with no packing at all, trust me....it sounded horrible.....really horrible...nothing like the SLP....

Anyways-

SLP- crazy loud
Magnapacks- not quite as loud, but deeper

You guys can make the choice.

Personally I like the Magnaflows, with the full size mufflers....

but we all have our own opinions Im sure.

As far as the tips, that problem was fixed some time ago.

Slp is extremely loud. I love revving it under overpasses and it sounds great when you gas it pass someone because you can hear it echoing off there car. I also like how all the sound goes behind you and there is no resonance in the car. But if you open the window you definately hear it. I had magnaflow exhaust on my old chevy xtreme and I didn't like the sound - too quiet..But that was probably cause it was a 4.3 v6

GNN60GT500 said:
Just depends what you want.....

If you want the absolute loudest catback there is- then get the SLP....as if you think the SLP is loud now, in a year its going to be any louder due to the fiberglass packing they use.....

The Magnapack will stay the same volume.....if that helps.......

Other then that, the Magnapacks flow just a little bit better then the SLP mufflers....your probably looking at a whole hp though, so not a real big difference....

We at SLP typically try to remain above the fray when it comes to consumer discussions of product quality--after all, these forums were set up to facilitate the free exchange of information among enthusiasts, not as a free outlet for corporate propagandizing--but the repeated posting of a gross factual error can only be tolerated for so long.

Contrary to what anyone says, SLP's Shotgun resonators do not contain fiberglass packing. In fact, they DO NOT CONTAIN ANY PACKING AT ALL, an SLP-exclusive design feature that has no doubt been instrumental in allowing the Mustang "Loud Mouth" to outperform every other aftermarket exhaust system we've tested on our in-house SuperFlow dynamometer. Another benefit of this design is that it is completely impervious to blowout and deterioration for the life of the vehicle.

As I stated before, we do not make it a habit to promote our products directly in message forums. We do, however, monitor these sites, and we will continue to post responses when necessary to refute spurious claims by competitors. In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding SLP products, please feel free to contact us directly through our Web site.

All of us at SLP appreciate your support and look forward to serving you in the future.

Best Regards,

Jay Heath
Director of Marketing
SLP Performance Parts

1990StangLX said:
i like seeing manufacturers post on these boards. makes them more trustworthy IMO.

I am glad to see that both of the companys I a looking a buying from are looking at the forms to see what people are talking about and this way it can help me with choosing one or the other and I am glad that they do. And it's cool that they are really not trying to convince you to buy their product but instead just kinda showing you what they got. :nice:

Makalani_96GT said:
I am glad to see that both of the companys I a looking a buying from are looking at the forms to see what people are talking about and this way it can help me with choosing one or the other and I am glad that they do. And it's cool that they are really not trying to convince you to buy their product but instead just kinda showing you what they got. :nice:

yup. i think if reps from the aftermarket companies were actually trying to sell us stuff, we wouldn't buy it..and perhaps they realize this..

:owned:

"Contrary to what anyone says, SLP's Shotgun resonators do not contain fiberglass packing. In fact, they DO NOT CONTAIN ANY PACKING AT ALL, an SLP-exclusive design feature that has no doubt been instrumental in allowing the Mustang "Loud Mouth" to outperform every other aftermarket exhaust system we've tested on our in-house SuperFlow dynamometer. Another benefit of this design is that it is completely impervious to blowout and deterioration for the life of the vehicle."

I have nothing against Magnaflow and was going to order it until I heard SLP was releasing some stuff. I went with SLP because everyone else already has Magnaflow and Flowmaster stuff. I decided to be different. You can't really go wrong with any choice.

Dallasgt01 said:
I would say IF you WANT LOUD then go with a O/R h-pipe and a set of magnapacks!!!that will be LOUD

I can't really go with O/R pipes because I am in Cali and don't really feel like having to switch from illegal to legal every time I have to get smoged my life is a little to busy for that headache once a year. And my plan is to get some LT's this summer. That should make me loud enough without O/R's