Main seal repair question

Does anybody know approximately how much a repair would cost to replace a main seal on a 5.0L fox body stang with a T-5? I have an oil leak that I need to get fixed and I don't have a garage to do it myself and was wondering if anybody here in the 5.0 Mustang forum had ever had to have this done by a mechanic's shop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anybody would like to contribute some knowledge as to what is involved in having this replaced.

Thanks a lot! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

well it may cost you a 150 for a remove and re install tranny then i don't know a hour or 2 at shop rate plus part cost. Go to walmart parking lot put your car on jack stands and do it yourself. Have a buddy to help you. remember you will lose some oil out of the rear of the tranny.

Thanks 86Blue,

Going to Walmart to do this is not an option in my neck of the woods as the cops are real prickly and would probably tow my baby away and make me pay more than I want to to get her back, though I appreciate the input. I am curious as to how many hours I would be charged to do this at a garage. If this would only be a 2 to 4 hour charge plus parts, then I can live with it. I live in a condo where the association gives you a fine if you rotate your tires in the parking lot, sort of like Mustang Hell !!! (Got to find me a house with a garage!!!)

:nice:

H pipe, D/S, trans, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel need to be removed. On your back w/ a friend should be 6-7 hours. Shop labor would be the same as doing a clutch job. I would guess 4-5 hours for a shop. Shop rates are about $60 an hour. I would guess about $350 for job.