Major engien trouble, codes 87 and 23. Help!

Well i thought it was my clutch slipping but it wasnt.
When I give it gas all the way up to about 75% throttle It feels like i am taking off from about 1000 rpm in fourth gear. This happens all gears, even in 1st and 2nd.
When i let off the gas the car sends a bunch of unburnt fuel into the exhaust and makes it pop (more then normal) and even back fire, shooting a foot of flame.
So i have absolutly no power, i cant even spin the tires from second in the rain. The car pops and back fires when i let off of the gas and even some times wheni hold the throotle at 75% and then go WOT.
I have trouble codes 87 and 23 which are
Tps voltage out of range. and main circut failure of fuel pump.
Can anyone help?

• Sponsors (?)

Code 23 - Throttle sensor out of range or throttle set too high - TPS needs to be reset to below .99 volts at idle. Keep in mind that when you turn the idle screw to set the idle speed, you change the TPS setting.

Try this... Currently there is some dispute about setting it at .99 volts being worth the effort, but anything less is probably OK. All you need is less than 1.0 volt at idle and more than 4.25 at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). You'll need a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

Always use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage.

Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.

Here’s a TPS tip I got from NoGo50

When you installed the sensor make sure you place it on the peg right and then tighten it down properly. Loosen the back screw a tiny bit so the sensor can pivot and loosen the front screw enough so you can move it just a little in very small increments. I wouldn’t try to adjust it using marks. Set it at .97v-.99v, the closer to .99v the better.

(copied from MustangMax, Glendale AZ)

1. Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Dive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

2. When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground.

3. Always reset the computer whenever you adjust the TPS or clean/change any sensors. I just pull the battery lead for 10 minutes.

4. Check the procedure for your year, on my 90 I have to turn the idle screw until it just touches the tab, then insert a .010 feeler gauge and give it about one more turn. Then you adjust the TPS voltage to .98v, reset the computer. Start it up, if the idle is to low then turn the screw in until it is just right, then readjust the TPS voltage to .98v and reset the computer and start it up. The key is to adjust the TPS voltage and reset the computer whenever the idle screw is changed.

If setting the TPS doesn’t fix the problem, then you may have wiring problems.
With the power off, measure the resistance between the black/white wire and battery ground. You should see less than 1 ohm. Check the same black /white wire on the EGR and MAP sensor. More than 1 ohm there and the wire is probably broken in the harness between the engine and the computer. The 10 pin connectors pass the black/white wire back to the computer, and can cause problems.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

See http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=6 for more wiring help & 10 pin connector diagrams

Code 87 – fuel pump primary circuit failure. The fuel pump lost power while the engine was running. Check fuel pump relay, check inertia switch, wiring to/from inertia switch, red wire going to inertia switch for +12volts. Check the other side of inertia switch for +12 volts.

To help troubleshoot the 87 code, follow this link for a wiring diagram for 89-93 cars [urlhttp://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/19/59/5a/0900823d8019595a.jsp [/url]

For 79-88 cars use, http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/71/3c/0900823d8016713c.jsp