major problems with idle!

xYoung347x

Nov 3, 2003
Well I got the motor to turn over but it sounds like ASS! The best way to describe is, a ****ed up lawnmower that you keep pulling on to try to start up and dies on you and its 10x louder. the car is making a loud poping noise, it is backfiring, it will not hold idle, and It will revup and die. It sounds real aweful. It would jump to like 3k rpm and dies. I think its the distributor, I think Im stapping it wrong. I stabbed the distributor like 20 times... same result. I put number 1 at TDC on the compression stroke and put the distributor in with the rotor pointing twoard number 1 on the cap. If I advanced or retarded the timing it would not do anything. I have checked the vacum lines and the firing order. It has a new starter, cap, rotor, distributor, coil, plugs and wires. Why wont it idle?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds alot like a vacuum leak on the intake have you had your upper intake off lately?check all your lines going to the intake a make sure every if you have any vacuum caps on your intake make sure none are missing or leaking.

Just to be sure, double check the firing order. Next, double check your timing. To get it up and running, I would set the timing to 10*, with the spout connector out. Speaking of which, the spout connector is in right? That's about all I can think of.

We install the block, the heads (BTW hole is plug up in the back), the intake, the assc. brackets, and the tremec. I heard the car before with this block and it should purr like a kitten with a lopey sound. A vacumm leak can cause this chaos? We cant even get the car to calm down enough to take the spout out and adjust the timing, it would want to die all the time. we would just retard and advance until it idle but it wont idle. also the fireing order was wrong but then we fix it, we checked it twice to make sure.