Makes Ya Wanna Cry.................

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
One of our older (50+ year member) firefighters had kept after me for awhile to sell him my 'stang and I kept telling him no.......Well, on a recent trip to Florida his wife found him a '66 6-cyl coupe, which he believes he got for a song.
The guy who sold it told him it had an all new interior (probably...it was clean enough) and had alot of major resto work done on it.....He "talked the guy down" from $5700. to $4000.
The car has a thirty foot paint job at best, the hood and the doors aren't aligned properly (possibly can't be....?) granted the rear quarters looked rust free, but I have doubts about the cowl, especially since the car has a cowl cover. :nonono:
But what really hurt was when I looked underneath..........there are new full floors in the car, but the seat plugs and drain plugs are MIA and I couldn't see how well they were installed, but the worst is the sub-frames.................:eek::jaw::nonono: :( :notnice:
I just didn't have the heart to tell the guy, especially since he's going to find out as soon as he replaces the "leaky" exhaust..............He was soooooooo damned happy to find this car............... :(

• Sponsors (?)

Damn that sucks seriously what kind of person could do that, I would have thought it would be illegal or something. :mad: It would be better for you to tell him, the shock of having an exhaust shop tell him will break his heart they won't put it lightly. Tell him gently, explain solutions, and offer some help if you are willing. Explain that he will love the car more after fixing all this has been incorporated into the relationship with the car. That is such a shame though. :nonono:

We're talking stripping the car down and doing a ground-up rotisserie restoration.........that's how bad the rear sub frames are, there really is no "gentle" way to put it.

On the passenger side where the front of the rear leaf bolts thru....not much is holding the bolt in place.......I saw gaping metal all around, same on the driver's side, except someone had taken some sheet metal and pop-riveted a half-assed patch from the torque box back to where the trunk floor begins along the bottom edge of the rail.

As soon as I saw that I got off the ground before he caught me looking underneath........... :nonono:

The best, and only way to tell him is by putting the car up on a lift and showing him. :( :( :(

**EDIT** Seriously tho', as a brother firefighter, I'm going to talk with the Chief tomorrow and see if he can think of some way we can tell the guy......I hate to break his heart, but his car needs some serious work and more than I can handle right now or I'd offer to help............

Whew!

What a relief, when I brought him an MU catalog that I had kicking about, and we got to talking about our 'stangs, he "let me know" his 'stang "needs some work"..........so he is aware that there are a few problems with the car!

I feel a bit better about it now, I told him if he needed some help in fully assessing what needs to be done to let me know!:nice: