Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Clear

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
I'm having the shifters that I had made for the project cars produced to sell. They're machined from billet aluminum and are shaped to bring the knob up and back where you want it to be after your T-5 swap. They'll be anodized for a durable finish and therein lies the question. Would you prefer black or clear ano? The clear would have a satin aluminum look, but I think the black would look bad ass. I'll probably make both, but which do you prefer?

EDIT: I'm talking about the shifter lever, not the whole shifter assembly.

0238.jpg

0186.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure I could find a place that would polish them, and I can't imagine it would add a huge bundle to the price. I just like the anodizing because even though it isn't as bright, it'll still look the same after years of use whereas a polished one will never look as good as it did on day 1 and will constantly degrade in appearance.

Could always do a chrome powder coating like some of the aluminum wheels have.
Have you shifted through the gears with this lever? Just wondering, as it would seem like instead of forward and back, it would be more up and down? and would be a longer throw for the hand, than a Fox based lever.
What does the 2-3 upshift feel like?
Pretty cool looking!

Could always do a chrome powder coating like some of the aluminum wheels have.
Have you shifted through the gears with this lever? Just wondering, as it would seem like instead of forward and back, it would be more up and down? and would be a longer throw for the hand, than a Fox based lever.
What does the 2-3 upshift feel like?
Pretty cool looking!
The pattern is somewhat up & down, just like a stock 4-speed or the original-looking 5-speed handle. It's probably 25 degrees off of the horizontal plane. You don't notice it when driving, and in fact it makes the 2-3 and 4-5 shifts easier to reach.

I do wonder how the longer lever will effect the throw of the shift. I've got a Hurst Pro Billit with all the nifty doodads, it looks just like an old 4 speed Hurst shifter. I would love the shifter to be closer to me but I have been thinking that the longer lever will provably increase the throw somewhat.

I do wonder how the longer lever will effect the throw of the shift. I've got a Hurst Pro Billit with all the nifty doodads, it looks just like an old 4 speed Hurst shifter. I would love the shifter to be closer to me but I have been thinking that the longer lever will provably increase the throw somewhat.
It's kinda weird to visualize, but the throw isn't much different. The shifter is longer (towards the back) but not much taller overall. Picture a perfectly straight shifter handle going straight up from the shifter. The taller it is, the longer the throw up at the knob will be. This shifter doesn't increase the height of the knob above the shifter that much (if at all) -- it just brings it back towards you. This makes the pattern angle off of horizontal as discussed above, but doesn't increase the throw.

Seat-of-the-pants-wise, I love how it feels.

Here's a better pic of it installed:

reen_shifter_all.jpg