Making my own center console...pics..

taylor4g63

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
Asheboro, NC
So i've been working on this lil project for the past few days. I've been bored while home from college so i decided to give it ashot. I refuse to pay $170 for a nice aftermarket console or even more for a stock one, so i decided to test my fiberglass skills and make my own. I am not too sure what to do with the area below the stock radio bezel. I found a cheap flip out TV/DVD player/GPS thingy that I might put in there, and put some gauges in the stock radio bezel location. Or I might make a nice little compartment and mount some gauges in there somewhere. Haven't decided yet, will decide over the next few weeks i suppose. There will be a flip up armrest kinda deal, a couple cup holders and maybe a small area for spare change or cell phone or whatever just in front of the shifter. Anyway, here are pics in the beginning stages.

EDIT: I can't get the attachments to work for some odd reason. I will work on getting some pics up soon.

• Sponsors (?)

that sounds cool. i was going to do the same. its hard to get it to have the same flow and feel of the interior so im intrested as to how you designed it. do post pics...try photobucket.com and then just post links. it works like a charm

wow- definitely post some pics, use photobucket as advised previously! Gotta see this! I had once planned on doing something like this for a center console on my '66 coupe with the T-5, but I need to get that short throw shifter from Mustangs Plus first, it's real hard to reach for 5th gear. Anyhow hope everything goes great with this, and please keep us informed!

Ahhh yes. I saw a guy do this before. He did it for a living with stereo equipment. Stuff in crazy. He also used a cloth from bondo I think. it was like fiber glass, but you could stretch it to make curves pretty with minimal work. Hope that helps.