Manifold Sensors

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by federal officer, Jun 22, 2013.

1. federal officer

federal officer New Member

so i'm slowly getting my car back together and have a few questions. I got rid of all the emissions crap and put on a brand new 2121 Edelbrock intake. do I need either of these two sensors and what are they used for ? IMAG0059.jpg IMAG0059.jpg 100MEDIA$IMAG0062.jpg
  2. jrichker

jrichker StangNet's favorite TOOL SN Certified Technician Founding Member

What kind of car and what year car did the engine come from? I don't remember anything like that on the 5.0 Fox Mustang EFI engines.
  3. f8tlfiveo

f8tlfiveo My wife likes my spool and blow-off valve.

Yeah, that's not for a efi stang, at least not 86-93.. They look like coolant sensors with vacuum ports..maybe for a carb car, but I don't know anything about those
    7991LXnSHO likes this.
  4. jrichker

Possible warm air diverter vacuum control valve. It cause warm air to be sucked up from a pipe that is connected to a can or housing around the exhaust manifold. The warm air is fed into the air cleaner to prevent carb icing in cold weather. When the engine coolant warms up enough, it shuts off the vacuum. Then the lack of vacuum causes the diverter actuator diaphragm to close the warm air duct butterfly. Then the warm air ceases to be fed to the air cleaner.

The carb manifold has coolant passages that deliver hot engine coolant to the carb base to prevent carb icing. It only works well with an engine that has come up to operating temperature. That's why the warm air is pulled up from around the exhaust manifold when the engine is cold.
  5. f8tlfiveo

f8tlfiveo My wife likes my spool and blow-off valve.

Makes sense
  6. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard Mod Dude Founding Member

plug em up!
  7. federal officer

federal officer New Member

8. jrichker

That's only a workable solution if you live in South Florida.

Carb Icing occurs in moist conditions when the temp is in the low 50's F or lower. The pressure drop across the throttle butterflies combined with evaporation of the fuel causes a 20-30 degree temp drop, which puts the temp at the throttle butterflies at or below freezing. The resultant ice causes low speed stumble and drivability problems. The OEM air cleaners had all the plumbing to make this setup work: if you still have it, hook it up and use it.