Manual Rack vs. Power Rack

ImportEater98

Mar 17, 2003
Worcester, MA
Well i did a search of previous threads and couldn't find an answer to my questions. I am in the process of setting up steering on my 87 lx. I am making it a more strip than street car and i want to go through with manual steering. The flaming river kit is somewhere around $400 to my door. Looking at my power rack, the only physical difference i see is there is a high and low pressure line running to it. The body and characteristics are identical to the FR rack.
After talking to my friend who has a 9 second camaro, he said he just disconnected and removed the pump on his....turning the wheels back and forth a thousand times to get all the fluid out. Once it was all out, he buttoned it up and....vwalah! Manual steering.
Anyone with me on this one?
Reason for asking...i can get a brand new power rack for $80.00.
Thanks
-John

• Sponsors (?)

I just tried this with my power rack, drain all the fluid an everything. It's a piece of junk with no fluid in it, the steering feels so sloppy when you going down the road, i wouldn't wanna take it much past about 40 or 50mph.

If you want a manual rack, get one from autozone or somewhere i think a 1979-1984 or something had manual racks in them you'll need another little thing for the steering shaft too forget the part number. Go to the corral an do a search there used to be ton's of info on this over there. You can have a manual rack an everything for about 150 bucks.

I'm told the 79 model will replace the power rack. That said, I chose the F.R. assembly. I'm extremely happy with it. Bolt it was a no brainer and there's not a problem in sight. I've had it since 2002.

maybe i should just go with the flaming river kit. Ebay seems to offer the best deal i've seen. $340 + shipping ($25.00). Better deal than summitt or jegs. I don't want to cut corners on the project, but i don't want to pay more than i have to, to complete the same function, ya know?

ImportEater98 said:
while im on the manual subject....anyone doing manual brakes? I know it sounds silly, but i want to this car to be as light as possible.....will probably be about 50/50 (street/strip)......anyone shed some light on this?
some guys go the Mopar route for manual brakes. it is a bit of a pain and NOT something i would do for a street-driven car. there are other places to save weight than from the brakes!

89sleeper said:
I have a manual rack from Advanced Auto. Paid $110 for it. Works fine 3 1/2 years so far. :nice:

What year was that for?? And did you need like a knuckle thing for the steering shaft linkage to hook up correctly??

But why pay 320 bucks for something when you can get the same thing for half the price and it works just as good???????????

I got a manual brake master cylinder, and can't remember the year model I chose. However, there are Mustang performance companies that sell the M/C and adapter plate so it's not so hard to get. Buying/building my own saved money and I looked at different options(which is why I can't remember the year model chosen). I did buy the spacer from somewhere for about $30. After getting the parts for the job, I went to a local hose shop and made my own hose assemblies. I have 3 friends who work there, so it wasn't an issue to do it that way, but it takes time and thought. Maybe someday I"ll borrow a digi-cam and snap some shots of the result. All I can say about it is it looks decent and works flawlessly. Total installation time was about 2hrs. Installing the rack assembly took about the same amount of time.

Buying the F.R. kit was helpful because it came with the linkage needed and it's got a better lock-to-lock ratio than the older car came with. Once the original link is broken, it doesn't go back together again. This may present a problem with other racks, I'm not sure.

ImportEater98 said:
My point exactly....only thing is...i priced out a rack at NAPA Auto Parts and a power one is $89.00 + $30.00 core. A manual one is $195 + $75 core.....doesn't make sense to me....

hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe 89sleeper might beable to chime in an tell us some part numbers :D

I put manual steering and brakes on my 86 Mustang.The rack came out of a 78 Fairmont and it bolted in fine, but I had to change to the newer style rack bushings.You need the manual steering coupler as the splined shaft that connects the rack to the steering rag joint is a different size on manual and power steering cars.The rest of the steering shaft is the same.The manual brakes came from about a 1980 Mustang.You need the master cylinder,brake pushrod,adapter plate and brake pedal.The brake pedal has the pushrod pin located higher up for more leverage on a manual brake car.Automatic and standard pedals are the same except for the size of the pad on the bottom.If you have a 3 port master cylinder you will have to modify the lines as the early fox master cylinders had two ports but in my case it bolted in.

yeah part numbers would be very helpful on this one for sure. I may just go with the FR kit, but i wanted to explore options......whats up with the FR kit being $50 more for "quick ratio"? Jeesh all they do is put a bigger gear in the damn thing. As for the manual brakes....how are they around town?

I have a power rack with the lines disconnected. My car feels great at 119. Nice and stable. Never a fear for the steering.

For the brakes, I have a manual conversion. I bought the conversion plate for $60 it is made by ASP. I used a mastercylinder that I got from advance auto for a 1984 chrysler minivan. I did the 2-3 conversion, I have no proportioning valve and I added a line lock. I also moved the pin up higher on the pedal to make more leverage.

The reason I did the chrysler MC thing is because of the ports comming out on the drivers side. Give more room for the dipstick and valve covers with my 351.
All in all it works well. My only complaint is that I lock the skinnies before I even come close to locking the slicks. It stops fine IMO.

PM if you want more info and Pics.

Also baer sells the whole kit with the modded pedal for $200. At least they did in 2002. I dont think it comes with the MC.

89tang said:
What year was that for?? And did you need like a knuckle thing for the steering shaft linkage to hook up correctly??
I asked for a 79 to 81 Mustang manual rack. Several auto chains have them.
Advanced had it the least expensive at the time.
Yes I had to buy an adapter flange like this for $72. :bang: Everything else hooked up just fine.
image10.jpg

89tang said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe 89sleeper might beable to chime in an tell us some part numbers

I don't remember the part numbers but I just asked for it like above.