Manual shifting an aod

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by jbon302, May 18, 2010.

1. tannerc91gt

tannerc91gt More durable than coconuts and twice as fast

Slightly off topic- but my first car was FWD and tray sliding kicks ass. Didn't like burnouts though
  2. notchback

notchback Founding Member

toasted in a year

trust me i been there.

by going back to "1" after your in "2" you re-engage some intermediate clutches that SHOULD NOT be engaged
  3. 25thmustang

25thmustang Advanced Member

Ever driven a "race" manual transmission?

I'm not debating it, as a race prepped auto is one bada$$ toy, but after having driven a handful of race manual cars, there is basically no lag and full engagement with every shift. Interesting feeling the first time you shift a T5 (not a stocker thats for sure) without hitting the clutch. :D
  4. raymoreno1288

raymoreno1288 New Member

you cannot shift faster than a race prepped auto trans period. A machine is faster than you. Manual trans has to go from one gear then thru neutral into the next gear. You cant shift as fast as an auto. Period. The auto trans does require horsepower to run it though, there is some loss of hp when ussing an automatcc.
  5. theconductor

theconductor Member

Not sure if serious....
  6. Gearbanger 101

Gearbanger 101 we love us some gays up here Super Mod

You must not spend a lot of time at the track....or for that matter ever heard of power shifting? I've seen man beat machine plenty of times...and I'm regularly am able to do it myself. Well built auto cars are faster than most....but not all. A full blown race set up is one thing, but your average street car is entirely another.

Using your own "moving parts" logic, let's compare the two and count the steps....

Manual = gear/neutral/gear
    Auto = gear/torque converter/pump/cervo's/valve body/gear set/clutch pack/gear

at the track.....

View: http://youtu.be/1cC-Nyg7ZHE

...or on the street.....

View: http://youtu.be/6JEv6Ycyx6s
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  7. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

I did it for years on my AOD. I didn't do it daily, but at the track, and a few times on the street I would do the 1-D-1 shuffle.

never had an issue other than having an AOD. Glad i swapped to a stick though
  8. rbohm

rbohm Founding Member

doing the 1-d-1 dance is rubbish. better to get a reprogrammed valve body from silver fox or lentech that will allow you to hold second gear without the possibility of damaging the transmission with the constant 1-d-1 dance. the other nice thing is that lentech and silver fox both have od lock outs.
    95Vert383AOD likes this.