manual tranny problem

87whtecoupe

Jan 28, 2009
I have an 86 GT, i recently changed the engine, nothing fancy just a stock HO.
The car had a bad engine and was not even an HO, i had driven the car before the engine swap and the tranny worked fine.

So i put in the engine everything works fine but the tranny stays in gear, even when in neutral and while pressing the clutch.
(clutch is new).

So i changed the oil with some dexron ATF , as i was recommended, and now the tranny is ok and doesnt move in neutral, but i cant get it into any of the gears, and when i try to start the car in any gear, the car moves.

does anyone know whats going on?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your clutch cable isn't adjusted properly. Do you have an aftermarket cable, quadrant, and adjuster? Go buy them now if you don't. I'm confused when you say:

the tranny stays in gear, even when in neutral

...because that is sort of an oxymoron. If the trans is in gear then you aren't in neutral. Your shifter or shift forks may be bent or broken.

I'm more curious as to how you have an '86 GT that didn't have an HO motor. I take it this car didn't have the original motor in it before your swap?

Actually it sounds to me like you put the shifter in and didn't get the ball in the socket correctly.

The car is in gear...but you can move the shifter??

Do you feel resistance when you push the clutch cable in??