Manual tranny question - PLEASE HELP

GRGT1994

Sep 22, 2004
OK, I'm having some major work done. Here's the issue I'm looking at right now. The bearing retainer (this part) was bent when i broke my crank. Or maybe it was bent when the shop was removing the motor. Whatever, it was bent.

So they ordered a replacement. Problem is, I think they got the wrong one. The base part on the one the shop installed had a much longer section that extends away from the tranny. The one they got looks more like this That made it incredibly hard to get the motor back in, and now they say they cannot shift it into 2nd or 4th gear. I'm wondering if having that wrong part is messing up the shifting.

What do you think???

• Sponsors (?)

I can't figure out how that would affect only two gears. The entire purpose of the retainer is to allow the throwout bearing a shaft to slide along as you engage/disengage the clutch. Assuming the "base part" is longer and doesn't allow the clutch to get very close to the transmission, every gear would be affected. But they would only be affected by clutch operation, not gear selection.

Did you have the tranny rebuilt?

Tranny has not been rebuilt. Before the crank breaking issue it was fine. Not sure if the tranny was damaged when the engine went though. Could I have lost just two gears? Wouldn't there be gear bits interfering with the rest?