Manual Trans on 88 LX 5.0

eskion

Mar 19, 2007
Northwest Indiana
Has anyone else had problems with the clutch not fully disengaging when the pedal is pressed to the floor? I had a trusted shop install a new clutch because I had this problem with the old one, and now this one is doing it too and it's only 3 months old. When they installed the clutch they turned the flywheel, so I don' think that's the issue. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe your clutch cable is stretched to the point it can't fully disengage?

Do you have an aftermarket clutch cable adjuster that could be improperly adjusted?

How many miles does the car have? Have you installed any aftermarket clutch stuff (quadrant, adjuster, cable)?

Jeff

I haven't personally done anything with the clutch, as far as I know, the shop only installed an after market clutch plate, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. I did call the shop again this morning and I'm taking the car back to them tomorrow morning. They're gonna check for a bad fork, syncro, etc... Hopefully nothing that costs much, but I will make your suggestions to them as well. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

About two years ago I had that problem. I bought a King Cobra clutch kit and installed it. The clutch wouldn't disnegage. After installing a new pivot bolt, cluch fork, clutch cable and adjuster I still had the same problem. I installed the old pressure plate and it worked like a charm. The company replaced the pressure plate with no problem and I installed it. That was a real pita. I spend like $175 in un-needed parts and did like 5 clutch jobs in two weeks. Good luck with dealing with the shop.

sounds to me like you replaced a good clutch for a bad clutch cable problem. read the link in my sig, but sounds like you need to take slack out of the cable.

Another source of issue is the stock quadrant (if applicable). Jeremy's article will help you replace the POS plastic components with quality metal replacements (might as well do that if you do the cable. When the plastic let's go, the tow bill will cost about what the parts do anyhow).

If it's problematic getting into any gear, synchros are not the place to look IMHO.

Good luck.

Well, the clutch was locking up, and that stretched the cable out. Possible screwed up the syncros, hopefully not though. I didn't go through the same shop because they wouldn't warranty the clutch they put in. The clutch is done, the cable is on the way, I'm hoping the syncros are still good, or I'm gonna be pissed. I think the first shop should have caught this when I took it to them to check out the clutch. If you live around NW Indiana, you can't trust Northern Trans.