Mark VIII fan install comments

postalbunny

Oct 26, 2005
Just hooked up my mark 8 fan /w dcc controller. Thought i'd chime in for anyone else having problems that is searching.

install comments:

I mounted my overflow tank on the otherside of the fan (passenger side), as I had to slide the fan all the way to the drivers side to make it clear the bolts on the water pump snout. My car has been in a wreck before and only has 4.5" of clearance from rad to h2o snout. Had to rebend the brackets for the radiator core and push the a/c rad further to the front of the car so everything will clear. Also had to trim off almost all of the excess on the shroud, the fan has 1/2 inch away from the radiator. I've read up and probably should have gotten a 94/95 fan as they are offset more.

I extended the overflow tank's sensor wires and spliced into it for the +12v /w ignition on source (i don't want my fan running /w the engine off). Not to anyone trying to figure out which wire for a/c, i spliced into the black wire /w yellow stripe before the diode (boxy thing just before the clutch connector). I also ran the +12v const and the fan +/- wires over the top in a wire loom. Looks almost factory. I mounted the dcc controller under the cold air intake, as I can't make ANY more room on the driver's side fender. I tried to pull off the fender to mount it all inside (I need to change the washer fluid resevoir too) but had 2 bolts that I could not figure out how to undo... gave up.

I had the fan hooked up backwards, while driving it got up to 210 (i have a 180 therm) and it got down to 180 at idle. Pulled over and noticed it was pushing air not pulling it... my bad (easy switcharoo).

One additional comment about the dcc controller... it operates GREAT; however, it the connectors were "crimp" style and allmost all of them fell off just by handling the wires. I ended up soldering and shrink wrapping all the connections.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when it's light... total install time was about 8 total hours for me (6 of which were trying to get the damn thing to clear water pump snout).

Oh yea: SOTP meter says there was a slight gain from 3-5k, nothing major... biggest advantage is that the a/c blows cold at stop lights (yes, i'm using the a/c in november...) /w 130g amp alternator I can run fog lights/brights at either 800watt stereo or a/c... need to get smaller pully run everything. voltage /w ALL accesories on is 12.6 at idle and 13.8 at 1500rpm.

• Sponsors (?)

Pictures

Here is a pictures of the install as it sits.

overflow tank mounted
overflowtank.jpg

dcc mounted
dcc_mounted.jpg

clearance to water pump snout
clearance.jpg

srothfuss said:
Did you trim the shroud down to gain more clearance?

I ended up trimming all till 1/2 inch was left between it and the radiator. I read that it shoudln't even be necessary, but seeing as my car was in a front end collision before I bought it I attribute that to my lack of space :(

Got it to fit though.

I ended up flipping those rubber feet that the rad sits on, and schootching the rad up as close as it would go. I then pushed the a/c brackets back some, routed all the wires that go there in front of the a/c radiator. Then I bent the rad brackets a little to pull the radiator closer... and I ended up /w the clearance I got here.

Think my fan motor might be broke... using the high or low prongs on the fan seem to be the same speed. May end up trying to get a sn95 fan as I heard it's more offset and will mount easier.