MarkVIII into V6 swap

KWIK9550

Founding Member
Jun 14, 1999
SOUTH BEND, IN
HEy guys, I need some help. Can't seem to find any information through the search and I looked for hours, so I'm making a thread. My old man has a scrapyard and I'm pulling some engine/trans combos out of some Mark VIIIs. I am thinking about swapping one into my 95 V6, but not quite sure how to do it. Will the trans even fit the tunnel? I can take whatever I need so if the computer and all wiring will work would this be a direct swap? I have the K-member from my 98 Cobra to use and all other associated parts like exhaust, rearend, and possible driveshafts. Also, if anyone knows, what;s the easiest way to remove them from the Mark? The cars are sitting up on wheel stands in the yard, so I have access to the bottom, but not the ability to lift the vehicle from the engine/trans. Thanks in advance to all!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I am doing a mod swap as we speak. 2001 GT to a 81 notchback. I wanted to avoid custom wiring so I installed the enitre 2001 dash into my 1981 notch. This was a lot of work, but it was less work than custom wiring a harness to retain my stock 81 dash.

My advice to you would be to get a painless wiring kit. I have no idea about car wiring that is why I am using the 01 harness from headlights to tailights. But you have a Mark VIII, not another Stang, so you might be in for some headaches.

Try these sites: www.modularfox.com .....(slow replies, not many users...but old threads are helpful)

www.modularfords.com ........(highly recommended Modular Conversions forum, scroll down, you'll see it.)

Since you have a 95, why don't you stick with a pushrod motor. Put an EFI 351 in there. No smog station will ever be able to tell the difference between the 5.0 and the 5.8L motor. No replacement for displacement =-)

Since you have a 95, why don't you stick with a pushrod motor. Put an EFI 351 in there. No smog station will ever be able to tell the difference between the 5.0 and the 5.8L motor. No replacement for displacement =-)

Because I have them at my disposal and it's a better platform IMO. I love my Cobra and frankly never want to go back to a OHV engine again.

i am doin the exact same thing that you r doing and so far this is the info i gathered....per what everyone is telling me

everything fits no need for the cradle swap but i would say change the suspension,
upgrade the rear
change the brake booster to a hydrobooster
add another fuel line (your V6 only has one coming to the motor)
your gonna need 5.4 or standard 4.6 motor mounts(not the mark 8 mounts)
a cobra ecm or just use the mark 8
and thats all i can think of right now i am sure some one else will elaborate

but if your dad has a junk yard all those parts should be at your disposal...

and one more thing can i be your best friend ??

i'll let you send me some parts!!!!lol

i am doin the exact same thing that you r doing and so far this is the info i gathered....per what everyone is telling me

everything fits no need for the cradle swap but i would say change the suspension,
upgrade the rear
change the brake booster to a hydrobooster
add another fuel line (your V6 only has one coming to the motor)
your gonna need 5.4 or standard 4.6 motor mounts(not the mark 8 mounts)
a cobra ecm or just use the mark 8
and thats all i can think of right now i am sure some one else will elaborate

but if your dad has a junk yard all those parts should be at your disposal...

and one more thing can i be your best friend ??

i'll let you send me some parts!!!!lol

ME TOO can i be yor best friend :D im doing a 1995 mark viii into my 98 gt swap. You may need intake manifold also. Not sure bout wiring harness im using the mark viii one:nice: