Master cyl- Cobra vs GT

S351Saleen77

Jun 27, 2002
Washington
Hey Guys,
I want to buy some big brakes for my new Saleen which came with stock brakes.

I see that the Cobra master cyl is recommended in the Ford kits if your converting to PBR Cobra calipers. I have head that the bore size is different between the 94-95 Cobra and 94-95 GT Master cyl. I found on a search that the Cobra is 15/16" and the GT is 1 1/16"? Not sure if this is correct? The Cobra had a smaller bore??

Anyway I'm Not putting on the PBR'S but I'm thinking of 4 piston Brembos or 6 piston 14" Wilwoods. Those who have put PBR'S or Brembos or anything else did you change the master cyl? Can you run the stock one?

I also heard that the lines were switched around on the Cobra master and MM makes some kit ? When I went to their site it was to put the master on a Foxbody so I'm not sure if the Cobra Master will bolt right on a GT?

Thanks for any help you can give me:nice:

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the Cobra has a smaller bore so it doesn't push as much brake fluid as you press the brakes. I'm guessing this is because the Cobra brakes don't need as much effort for the same braking power. You can keep the GT's master cylinder, but the pedal pressure gets stiffer - a light touch on the brakes results in harsher braking. I haven't done the swap yet, someone else feel free to chime in on this.

The hard lines from the master cylinder to the distribution block are swapped on the Cobra. This was likely done so the folks on the assembly line didn't install the wrong one by mistake. The threads on the MC for these hard lines are different, so you can't just thread them in. You'll have to bend the hard lines to swap their places, replace them with SS lines or get a set from a Cobra. I'm doing a V6 to Cobra swap, so I can put up photos of the V6/GT MC hard lines and the Cobra's if you need them.

The GT cylinder feels great, don't swap it unless you have to.

I barely felt a difference in pedal feel before and after the 13" Cobra brake upgrade (front, 11.65" in the back).

I can't say as far as going bigger than the 13", but I would recommend sticking with the stocker, it works just fine.

I kept the GT master cylinder and couldn't be happier. The pedal feel is much better with the GT mc, stainless brake lines, and the Cobra brakes.

When I bought my front/rear 04 Anniversary Cobra brake kit from Performance Parts Inc., I asked for upgraded SS lines and they gave me the right stuff.

Well I just finished putting in The Mach1 performance package brakes in the front (which are same thing as cobra minus the cobra written on it) and the cobra kit in the rear along with stainless steel brake lines and the stock master cylinder and I couldnt be happier! The stock MC on GT's works awesome with the bake upgrade, no effort at all to stop the car.

Well I just finished putting in The Mach1 performance package brakes in the front (which are same thing as cobra minus the cobra written on it) and the cobra kit in the rear along with stainless steel brake lines and the stock master cylinder and I couldnt be happier! The stock MC on GT's works awesome with the bake upgrade, no effort at all to stop the car.

I did the same to my 94 GT and works great