master cyl question

Ogre

Sep 24, 2003
NC
I've got a 67 coupe that I swapped in disc brakes from a Granada. My car had manual drums brakes all the way around. What is the best master cylinder to use? Some people say use the one from the Granada, but it had disc/drum power brakes. Other sites say use a master cyl from a 76 Granada with manual disc/drums, some say 72 Bronco with manual disc/drums. I am staying with manual brakes as I don't want to do the power booster right now. Just wondering what other people have used that worked well and what issues they ran into. Thanks for all the help...

• Sponsors (?)

74 Maverick manual disc or 88 Ranger manual disc. There are others that will function well, but have the lines exiting the master cylinder on the engine side as opposed to the fender side. Which ever you choose, make sure the brand you buy has the pedal rod "NOT" installed, as it is likely the wrong length for your needs and is almost impossible to remove without destroying the master. Your existing rod will likely be the correct length and who cares if you mangle the piston on a core?:lol: Oh and I suggest you bite the bullet and buy new. The last three times I bought a rebuilt for projects, I had problems (crappy, leaking covers/seals, improper function, etc.) and after returning a couple times for warranty, ended up buying new anyway and was out all the extra labor:(.
Just My $.02 & Good Luck,
Gene