Master Cylinder Suggestions

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
I'm going with '68-'70 discs on the front and likely a versaille rear disc setup. What Master Cylinder should I go with, and should I get one of the adjustable proportioning valves?

Anybody see any problems with this setup? I'm in parts collecting mode right now and haven't fully installed any of it. Haven't purchased the versaille rear yet.

• Sponsors (?)

What spindles are you planning on using? If they are 68-70 spindles, I've been led to believe that you have have the same steering geometry issues as using Granada stuff on an early (64 1/2-66) car. I hope the real experts will confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.
HTH,
Gene

they are the 68-70 spindles. I actually bought a setup from a guy in Ohio that included GW upper and lower arms, with the spindles/brakes, etc. It came with a bump steer corrector on the tie rod end, so the geometry shouldn't be an issue. the guy from Ohio pulled everything off he was racing with and put a full Grigg's package on it. Must be nice to have money.

I didn't mention I was going with a manual, not power setup.

there are a couple of master cylinders you can use out of the box, the maverick non power disc/drum master cylinder, from 1974 i believe, and the 75 granada non power master cylinder. if you get an adjustable push rod, you can use any non power master cylinder from any disc/drum ford system ans the bolt patterns on the master cylinder are all the same, even to the power master cylinders. as for the adjustable proportioning valve, i would use that regardless of whether or not i also used a disc/drum distribution block.

If the 68-70 spindles do have the same geometry issues the bump steer kit wont help. I had granada spindles with a baer tracker bump steer kit on my 65 and the car was a death trap, It scared the bejezus out of me. I sent the spindles to the scrap yard to save someone elses life and bought 65 v-8 spindles.

the 67-70 spindles have similar geometry to the 65-66 spindles, so there should be NO issues there. in fact even ford recommends using the 70 spindles on the early cars, especially if you are going racing, because the spindles are larger than the 65-66 V8, and the 67-69 spindles.