master cylinder swap questions

notny41

Aug 15, 2004
Minnesota
I have a 65 with drums in all four corners and a single reservor master cylinder.

I bought a dual res drum/drum mc off a 67 from a friend (thanks Carlos!).

1. Do I need to change the pushrod? I've seen posts that indicate the length is not the same between these years.

2. I think I need to cap off one of the outlets on the distribution block. What size fitting do I need for this and where is it readily available?

3. Do I need any extra tubing for this conversion?

Thanks guys!

P

• Sponsors (?)

notny41 said:
I have a 65 with drums in all four corners and a single reservor master cylinder.

I bought a dual res drum/drum mc off a 67 from a friend (thanks Carlos!).

1. Do I need to change the pushrod? I've seen posts that indicate the length is not the same between these years.

2. I think I need to cap off one of the outlets on the distribution block. What size fitting do I need for this and where is it readily available?

3. Do I need any extra tubing for this conversion?

Thanks guys!

P

The early pushrod normally works best. Yes you will need to cap one of the outlets--sorry I don't know the size but it is common. Yes you will need extra tubing since you probably have only 1 line coming from your master cylinder right now.

Something else that you will need is a line adapter for the MC to normal tubing. This item is a little harder to find.

My suggestion is to poke around on the CJ Pony Parts web site a little. They sell a complete kit that includes all the parts mentioned-lines/adapter/plug (but not the pushrod, which you already have.) If you can't find it there, PM me and I can give you their part #.

K, I got the dual res master cylinder on.

Plugged the hole where the rears plug into the dist block.

Bent the front line so it is pointing right at the outlet on the mc closest to the rear of the car.

Still wondering if anyone can tell me what size hole and threads that hole is? I need to get an adapter so the line can br run from that hole. It is larger than the 3/8" that all of my fittings are.

I'm pretty sure the hole on the front of the MC is a 9/16" so I'll need to get that adapter too.

But if someone can answer the question about what size the rear hole is, I think I'll be in business. MC is a dual res drum/drum off a 67 stang.

Thanks - P

I feel much safer already!!! (and I still have to bleed the brakes)

Got the 67 manual drum/drum master cylinder put on and plumbed tonight.

In case someone in the future is looking for the specs on the adapters off the mc - here's what I found:

Front hole for rear brakes is a 9/16 - I had to get a 9/16 male - 1/4 female adapter and plug a 1/4 male - 3/16 female adapter into that. Then the 3/16 rear brake line goes in there (actually a 3/16 female - 3/16 female union fitting and a 12" extension line is in there too).

Rear hole for the front brakes is a 5/16 male - 1/4 female adapter with a 1/4 male - 3/16 female adapter threaded into that. Then the line that comes off the dist block that went to the old mc plugs in there.

Also bought a 3/16 plug to go into the dist block where the rear brake line came out of.

P