Matching Fog Lights to Factory HID

GoneFord

Jun 2, 2008
I have factory HID and I really want to match the factory fog lights (color first and brightness second if possible). It really looks funny when I turn on the fog lights because they are so different (in color AND brightness) from the HID headlights.

I did search and found lots of info about retrofit kits for factory incandescent headlights to HID and matching the fog lights to those (even converting the fog lights to HID – that’s a good idea). I’d simply like to do this right the first time without having to experiment.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I had good experiences with a couple of HID retrofits in the past so I'll be going with that. 5K bixenons for the headlights and 3K for the fogs behind some lightly smoked lenses is probably the setup I'm going to be run.

That should fry teflon 1/4 mile away and in bad weather :)

I just replaced my fog light bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars.

$40, no wiring work or expensive mods, and I'm happy.

I agree that the stock bulbs look horrible when used with the HID lamps (way too yellow). The Sylvania bulbs are a close enough match for the HIDs that I see no need to upgrade the fogs to HID...just my opinion YMMV.

Careful handling the silverstars they pop easily if you're rough with them.

... and don't touch them !!!

I had a friend go with my recommendation to get them, even though he was bitching about how they were so expensive. Well he really flipped his lid when the bulbs popped in two days. So I decided to go check the bulbs out since he was so mad at me. I take a quick look at them and can see a nice grease fingerprint on every single bulb. :rlaugh:

Whats up Thump? Haven't seen you since the ole f150online days! :D I'm hoping my silverstars last a while since they light up everytime I unlock the car. With the factory HID's the foglights light up instead of the headlights when using the keyless entry. Guess Ford figures its better than firing off the expensive lights every time.

Whats up Thump? Haven't seen you since the ole f150online days! :D I'm hoping my silverstars last a while since they light up everytime I unlock the car. With the factory HID's the foglights light up instead of the headlights when using the keyless entry. Guess Ford figures its better than firing off the expensive lights every time.

There is a way to disable "perimiter lighting" which is what calls it so I wouldn't really worry. I'll definitely have to do that once I switch to HIDs.

I thought that was you. I wasn't positive though. What happened? Did you get rid of your truck? .. or did you just buy a toy? :D

I thought that was you. I wasn't positive though. What happened? Did you get rid of your truck? .. or did you just buy a toy? :D

Yep its me! :D Yeah I actually got lucky for once and sold my F150 to a friend BEFORE the resale tanked! LOL Got enough to pay cash for a new toy and am loving it. I'm trying real hard to not let the mod bug bite like it did with the truck! :rolleyes:

I did a bulb upgrade once and it melted the plastic harness.

Anyone else have this issue?

You probably bought some cheap overpowered bulbs which are "brighter" because they are rated at twice the wattage of regular bulbs which a lot of harnesses can't handle. I ditched mine in favor of an HID kit in my old car once I found out what they did.

For the record Silverstars, Nighthawks, PIAA and other name brand bulbs dont' do that as they are rated at the vehicle's standard 55W system. It's the cheap hyperwhites you find at autozone and crap that will do that. My old Nokyas were rated at 100/120W!!! that's twice what the factory harness handles!

How much are HID kits? I am curious because I might be a dealer for a new company. I bought one kit to check them out. The ballasts are very small....1/2 thick and a little larger than a credit card. They have kits for just about any bulb retrofit and offer 3,5,6.5,8 and10K temps.