Max Displacement for an '01 GT

cgph4693

Feb 1, 2001
This thread is also in the Drag Racing forum...

I would like to get into the 12s with my '01 GT and still keep it drivable... And want to do it by adding some C.I. -not by NOS, turbo, supercharger, or by crazy compression ratios. As I'm new to the performance aspect of these cars, what is the best way to do it? Is it advisable to go with a 5.4L block? Coast High Performance has a 5.1L stroker kit, but that to me still seems a tad small. Any advice is appreciated as I am just looking to spank some rice : )

Thanks!

BTW: When I say "these cars", my point is that I am more familliar with the Windsor blocks and performance... I'd like the punch of a 351w stroked to 393/427 out of this car.

• Sponsors (?)

micool said:
You don't need to touch your motor if all you want to do is run 12s. Bolt ons with the right suspension will get you there.

Not that I doubt you, but I know people who have gone fairly crazy and are only in the mid-13s. I am looking for a 12.0 flat minimum. Which bolt-ons will get me there? What suspension changes? Usually, I'd add traction bars, 90/10s, KYBs, etc... but this car seems to transfer weight and hook up suprisingly well (for being stock).
Thanks in advance!

Redfire03GT said:
Take a look at KenB's set up on here and at Modulardepot.com He's running 11.77's N/A.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Also, it might help to explain why I am looking for more speed now (after owning the car for nearly three years).
1) I only have two payments left : )
2) It will be off warranty soon anyway.

3) A while back I went to a local drag strip (the only time I've raced this car)... There were a few old Volkswagen Beetles there, I think they were late 60's and early 70's. Well, let's just say that they were spanking me all day. All were N/A, 2.1 to 2.3 liter, full-bodied street cars, not NOS'd, no prop glychol, etc... I checked them out and they were wicked but still, it looked bad when I'm in the 14s and they are at 12.2. :bang:

So, share your input and help me get my manhood back :nice:

IMO, the worst thing about mod engines is the small 3.5" bore. This smaller bore will be what limits your cid the most. If we had the beloved 4" bore of the small blocks (Ford AND Chevy) of yore, plus our factory 3.5 " STROKE, we would be driving around with 351s! Plus the smaller bore tends to shroud the valves. 4 valve heads get around this to a certain extent. Of course, a 4 " bore is probably impossible even with sleeves.

I'm new to this whole modular thing too. Still, I can't help thinking the biggest bore possible w/ bigger valves plus hotter cams would be faster, and maybe cheaper than stroking. I know this is an old school way of looking at this, and things seem to be different in modularland. I'm also acutely aware that the aftermarket for these great little engines is more like a minimarket when compared to small blocks. I'd bet in two years the market will explode.

Please keep us posted on your progress, ideas, and decisions.

Good luck!

Jim

edwardohaskillo said:
Oh, yeah one more thing. I know you probably already know all the things I've posted. The info is more for anyone else. My si-kick powers are telling me you're probably thinking, "Does this idiot think I'm even dumber than he is?"

jim

Jim-
I was not thinking that at all! I'm just really glad someone else believes me... getting beat by a slug bug was kind of embarrasing.

So, in the mean time... I'm going to look for a 5.4 liter : )

ok

just do what im doing.. taking off the head getting it ported wth the new valves and a cam.. with all the bolt ons ill see over 300 RWHP and 12's.. its going to be cool..

I'm kinda wondering about putting a GT on a diet. Of course there is the easy stuff like fiberglass seats, removing the back seat, removing the spare/jack, and an empty tank.

But what about harder stuff; like removing the a/c, abs, and the airbags? You could go a little rice-y, and gut the interior. How about manual steering, skinnies on the front, and fiberglass skivvies?

In the old days, Chevy II's (aka Novas) w/ small blocks weighed summers around 2600-2800#. They were so light because they had no cush, no comforts, no safety equip, and no smog stuff.

Granted, I like the cush, like the safety, and I love having breathable air. But I'm not dreaming of 12 sec n/a either...Well, okay, I AM dreaming of it! But you get my drift.

Or you could put a 4.6 in a V Dub...

Jim