max speed 3.73 ,4.10

• Sponsors (?)

RacerGT said:
Excuse me? Looks like you're the one being an ass. Just like you do in every thread. Now, please proceed to shutup before you make yourself look like a bigger moron.

You = the biggest moron in this thread. 4.10's and 3.73's will both increase your top speed. So if you're stupid dont reply.

DE-03GT said:
So if I run 5.14's I shoudl be able to hit like, what 180 mph, this lower gear=higher speed make absolutly no sense. If your red line is 5800 rpm you'll hit it a lot faster with lower gears than higher. Why would you "run out of steam before hitting your top speed". I'd really like a logical explination for this.

Ok, with a stock GT and normal 3.27 gears you can only reach say 4000 rpms in 5th. This equates to so many mph. The reason you can't get past 4k is the air resistance at that point is more than the hp your car makes can overcome. Now say you switch to 3.73. You will be now at a higher rpm where the old air resistance used to stop you. higher rpm = more hp. The additional power will let you accelerate a little more.

There comes a point of diminishing returns though. It depends on how much power your car makes but evenutally a high enough gear you will be hitting redline where the air resistance stops you. So if you go even higher than that you will be hitting redline before top speed and will lower your top speed. This might be the case with 5.14's but i'm not sure what speed they max out at.

husun said:
You = the biggest moron in this thread. 4.10's and 3.73's will both increase your top speed. So if you're stupid dont reply.

You'll run out of gear to get there, so this topic is pointless. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Who will EVER need to go 180mph. Please, tell me that. I'd love to see you guys smeared all over the road from trying to do that on a highway. Morons.

So your saying the extra 600 or so rpm will put you in a power band that will over come the air resistance, maybe in theory but real life it's bs. Lower gears mean lower top end. You may arrive at a certain speed quicker but you will never go faster (top speed) with 4.11's than you will with 3.23's. If you didn't get it i was bull****ting about the 5.14's.

RacerGT said:
You'll run out of gear to get there, so this topic is pointless. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Who will EVER need to go 180mph. Please, tell me that. I'd love to see you guys smeared all over the road from trying to do that on a highway. Morons.

no, wrong again, you have plenty of "gear" left, just not enough power to get you to the gears max.

Also if your into road racing on a circle track or endurance type races 180mph is easily attainable. So please stfu and die.

husun said:
Ok, with a stock GT and normal 3.27 gears you can only reach say 4000 rpms in 5th. This equates to so many mph. The reason you can't get past 4k is the air resistance at that point is more than the hp your car makes can overcome. Now say you switch to 3.73. You will be now at a higher rpm where the old air resistance used to stop you. higher rpm = more hp. The additional power will let you accelerate a little more.

There comes a point of diminishing returns though. It depends on how much power your car makes but evenutally a high enough gear you will be hitting redline where the air resistance stops you. So if you go even higher than that you will be hitting redline before top speed and will lower your top speed. This might be the case with 5.14's but i'm not sure what speed they max out at.

Good explanation. I never thought of it like that.

DE-03GT said:
So your saying the extra 600 or so rpm will put you in a power band that will over come the air resistance, maybe in theory but real life it's bs. Lower gears mean lower top end. You may arrive at a certain speed quicker but you will never go faster (top speed) with 4.11's than you will with 3.23's. If you didn't get it i was bull****ting about the 5.14's.

This is not rocket science here or any kind of complex theory. I dont see how its that hard to understand. For arguments sake:

600 rpm higher = a little more power
a little more power = a little higher topspeed

REAL WORLD

And the reason I included 5.14's in my post was to show you how they fit into what I was saying. Obviuosly no one uses them.

DE-03GT said:

The vehicle's theoretical top speed would be lower yes, as has been said, but it is possible for the actual top speed to be higher.

To illustrate, I have drawn up a diagram. Now, the numbers are off, etc, but it is just drawn to explain the higher top speed (not to you, you seem to get it).

The black curve is the power curve over an rpm range, and in top gear, you get a certain speed at a certain rpm. The blue curve is the power required to overcome wind resistance, rolling resistance, etc with the original gears.

Where the two curves cross is where the actual top speed of the car will be.

The red curve shows the frictional losses with the new gears, and I have illustrated that the old top speed is now higher in the rpm range, notice the pointer points to the same Y value on the red curve. The new top speed however, is where the red and black curve cross, and since the car is making more power in the new gear range, it is able to overcome a higher amount of frictional loss (higher Y value on red curve).

attachment.php

so..some people are saying yes, some are saying no..and the ones who are saying yes are backing it up with explanations and examples..while the ones who are saying no are just still saying no....??

in any case this has been an informative thread

RacerGT said:
So, you're saying that I can get to 180mph with my 4.10s? AHAHAHAHAHHA... no.

How old are you? I really can't fathom how you still dont get this concept. Are you one of the "special kids" in school? As I said in the post you actually quoted me on, you will be limited by power. NOT GEAR like you said.