May have a problem!

project1965

Aug 2, 2008
on my 65 coupe, my dad replaced the rear frame rails and trunk crossmember. Its been a while since i really looked at the job he did and now that i have i noticed that the crossmember is not centered, now the frame rails are 43 inches apart as it calls for BUT one side from rail to the end of the CM is 31/4 or so and the other side is almost 4 inches. DOES THIS HAVE TO BE PERFECT?
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

on my 65 coupe, my dad replaced the rear frame rails and trunk crossmember. Its been a while since i really looked at the job he did and now that i have i noticed that the crossmember is not centered, now the frame rails are 43 inches apart as it calls for BUT one side from rail to the end of the CM is 31/4 or so and the other side is almost 4 inches. DOES THIS HAVE TO BE PERFECT?

For me, it is not very clear what you are describing. Could you post a couple of pics?

Rear frame rails are not symmetrical from side to side. Let's see if these old pics are of any help to you. They are from an original sheet metal car.

Driver's side first. Notice how close the frame rails are to the exhaust and fuel tank:

1IMG_0794_tn.jpg

Now the passenger side. Lots of clearance:

1IMG_0790_tn.jpg

Try to get your hands on the mustang shop manual. It gives you dimensions from certain points on the car and you will be able to see how far off you are.